Yellow Flowers on the Prairie

We’ve had a pretty steady week on the ranch. The weather has been inconsistent, as we have had days with a high temp of 80* and 100*. J and I watched storm clouds build and quick fronts move through leaving the ground damp. Some of these storms were sever and caused damage to the south of us. Family and friends to the west of us got measurable rain. Our weekly accumulation of moisture was .16″ and it took three showers to get that.

July 11

The oats took their time drying, but we got them baled. We spent Friday afternoon finishing the oats and baling around the hay corals. We are unofficially done haying! J is a little hesitant to clean up and put the haying equipment away, because every year he has put equipment away early he’s found more hay to put up. Sounds like we are going to put loaders back on the tractors and start hauling a little hay this week.
July 11

I have two good reads to share with you. More Than You Know, by Nan Rossiter, is a novel about three adult sisters who lost their mother. As the sisters come together to go through their childhood home and make funeral arrangements, they find their mother’s journal. As the girls work through their sadness they also work out the life challenges they are facing. This is a light, feel good read with enjoyable characters.

July 11

I am currently reading The Shoemaker’s Wife by Adriana Trigiani. This novel is about two Italian families in the early 1900’s. One main character, Ciro, and his brother were left at a convent to be raised by Nun’s. At a young age their Father died and the Mother felt she couldn’t care for her sons. Ciro was expelled from the convent and moved to America.

Enza is the oldest child of a middle class, hard working family. After a couple incidences of bad luck Enza and her father move to America.

Ciro and Enza’s paths crossed while teenagers in Italy. As young adults in America, Ciro, a shoemaker’s apprentice and Enza, a seamstress, meet up again.

July 11

I am working on a couple of creative projects. I went back to try my hand at crackle paste again.

Sunday afternoon Kari, Tad and their three kids came over. We went fishing in our stock dam and grilled burgers for supper.The guys caught some nice fish. Kari didn’t have the luck they did, but we had a fun time visiting.

July 11

It’s hard to wrap my head around how fast this summer seems to be moving. How is your July going?

9 Responses to Yellow Flowers on the Prairie

We have lots of the little yellow flowers in our pastures, too. I liked the photo with the cow in the background and the fence row.

I’m glad you got the hay baled. The guys put some down on Saturday and Sunday. Hopefully, it won’t get rained on. We are going to try and cut wheat this afternoon again after more than a week hiatus. Randy will still have to contend with mud. We heard about some people tearing up equipment when they got impatient.

Our county fair begins this week. It’s weird to have to think about cutting wheat at the same time. I am foods superintendent for the 4-H foods and nutrition, so I’ll be busy part of Tuesday setting up and all day on Wednesday.

Have a great week, Robyn!

Kim,

J left me to watch and make sure the calves got paired back up while he gathered salt boxes. Watching, observing, looking the cattle over and taking pictures also known as ranch wife multi-tasking.

Good Luck as you harvest wheat and hay. I hope the weather holds out for you.

Several communities got hit hard with storms last week, bad wind, hail and rain. I will continue to wait for a good rain vs. hail damage.

Enjoy County Fair!

2. Alica says:

I like your wild flowers pictures, Robyn! Especially the one with the cow. How much rain do you usually get? And do you just cut hay once? So much to learn about other areas of the country! Thanks for the book recommendations…I’m on a “book hunt” right now! I agree, the summer is going so fast! Jim is just beginning 3rd cutting hay right now…I can hardly believe it!

Alicia,

Annual rain fall for our area is 15-16″. We are “short grass” country. J likes to say we don’t need a lot of rain, we just need it at the right time.

As a rule of thumb we get one cutting of hay. Most of our hay ground is a grass/alfalfa mix. We don’t have any pure alfalfa fields.

Good Luck with 3rd cutting hay!

3. Darcy says:

Your wildflowers are so pretty! Hope haying went well, and yields were enough for 2017 feed. We got a half inch of rain this weekend, and I know it put a damper on wheat harvest here, but it also meant I didn’t have to water the lawn. It’s the small things, right? 😃 Happy Monday!

Darcy,
      There are so many yellow wild flowers. In some spots the prairie is yellow. The purple cone flowers are not as plentiful as the last couple of years. I’ve also noticed that they are not as vibrant purple either. I think it’s due to the drought like conditions.

Luckily the last two years have been abundant and we have a lot of hay carried over.

I mowed a week ago Sunday as the lawn was a bit shaggy. I’m guessing there will not be much mowing for the rest of the season; the lawn is brown brown.

4. Janelle says:

I have also read “The Shoemakers Wife”. Well, listened to it actually. Very good read! Amazing how their lives intertwine.

5. Lisa Harrington says:

Yey for the rain!! I love cone flowers, but always seem to kill them….I think what happens is that I plant them in the middle of the summer with little rain and they can’t get their roots established. I am going to try and plant them this fall and hope they come up next spring. The spring is just to busy for me at work to get anything done outside.
    Happy summer Robyn! 💙❤️

Lisa,
      I have the wrong attitude when it comes to gardening. I do it my way and think the plants should grow because I planted them. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. lol!

I’m sure spring and wrapping up the school year gets busy for you. Good luck with your fall flower planting.

Hope you are having a great summer, Cousin!