Word of the Day

I filled this week’s Scavenger Hunt prompts by venturing out with my camera and watching animals.  I had fun observing the livestock on our ranch and found some entertaining sights.

Word of the Day: Babies

March 10

Who needs a milk mustache when I can blow bubbles!

March 10Calf #5 doesn’t wiggle when he gets a bath.  It doesn’t look like he shares his Mom’s enthusiasm either.

March 10

The chickens are sharing a dusting hole.  It takes a lot of wiggling to dust oneself.  The yearling was intrigued by the process.  While watching the yearling watch the chickens, I laughed out loud.

March 10

No cookies for the cows, but we do feed them range cubes or “cake.”

March 10

With calving season here we are all about babies and new Mamas.  We are 2/3rds done calving the first calf heifers.  J and I share turns checking the heifers.  My shift starts when I wiggle out of bed at 5:00 am.  J loves chocolate chip cookies.  I have not made the time to make them, so  I opted for the no-bake cookie to fill his request.  I do what I can.

12 Responses to Word of the Day

1. Tamar says:

The little calves are so cute!!

2. Sandra says:

What cute babies 🙂 Big Babies, adorable just the same 🙂

3. Karen says:

Great set of photos. I love seeing this slice of life 🙂

4. adorable calves… not having the farming experience… can I ask how you tag the cows ears? and why is that done?
    love the chickens wiggling through their dust bath.

Good questions, Christine!

Kim at Kim’s County Line did a post about working calves and does a good job explaining tagging and vaccinating. Here is a link to show you what a tagger looks like and how it is done: http://kimscountyline.blogspot.com/2012/04/hand-me-scalpel-stat.html.

We tag cattle to identify them, you can think of it as their name. If there is a problem we know which animal we need to take care of. The same is true for the calves. They each have an ear tag to identify who they are and which cow is their Mother.

J and I also keep records on each cow. We have a history of what her calf was (bull or heifer), what we sold that calf for or if we kept her calf as a replacement heifer. We also keep track of when each cow was born and sold.

5. Jent! says:

I just love your pictures of cows!

6. Teresa says:

These are beautiful! I love seeing all the babies.

Great pictures! I love how the cows are so well mannered when your hubby is giving them their cake! 🙂

Oh Robyn I love this post. Awesome photos and I see you are busier now than when you were working I found that too. Farming is a full time job in itself:) No time to bake:) B

You are right, Miss B! I got a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies mixed up today. I hope to bake them tomorrow. I do my best to get us a good hearty meal at noon. It takes some planning ahead and sometimes letting the Rancher know “I need to be in the house to work on dinner at …” I love my Crockpot for days I know he has a project planned.

9. Kristeen says:

This make me even more home sick for a farm /ranch.. They are tons of cuteness here in your photos.. I love #1 and 2 are my favorite..
    Hugs to happy ranching

10. Prairie Jill says:

Great images! My favourite is the second one.