What a Week We Had

Last week was the busiest week of the year! J and I were out the door between 5:00 and 5:30 every morning for six days in a row. By Saturday night we had cattle out to grass and our little farming project was completed. We were blessed with good weather and great help.

May 25

Here’s a recap:

Monday May 18th: We branded at Cousin T’s in the morning and did cattle work at home in the afternoon. J and I sorted off pairs to fill the young pair group, moved a different group of pairs to the west pasture and sorted the open cows. The west pasture is where we move pairs to before we trail them to summer grass. It’s a holding area for a couple of days in preparation for the long walk to pasture.

Look for more pictures from Cousin T’s brandings on Thursday.

May 25

Tuesday: J and I fenced around a summer pasture. With the mild winter and very little snow it only took 3/4th of the morning. Since we got around the fence so fast we decided to go around another pasture. We were doing well until we got a flat tire. Lucky for us our favorite mechanic was home and came to our rescue.

When we got home I started mowing the yard and J picked up salt and mineral feeders to take to summer pasture.

May 25

Wednesday May 20th: Cousin T and the Mechanic came over and helped us trail cattle to grass. In the afternoon, J and I moved the oldest bunch of pairs to the west pasture. I finished mowing while J went back to check on the pairs we moved that morning.

Thursday: Another day of cattle wrangling. In the morning we trailed Cousin T’s pairs to summer grass. Lucky for us Auntie (Cousin T’s Mom) was out visiting and more than happy to grill us hamburgers. After dinner J and I moved our young pairs south to pasture.

May 25

Friday May 22nd: Cousin T and the Mechanic were back to help us move the last group of pairs out. After the cattle were settled J and I scooted home to hook up the vibra shank so J could work ground. Our neighbor called and said he was headed our way to seed grass for us. After I helped J get ready to farm I checked cattle, cleaned my neglected house and kept the washing machine busy.

Saturday: I helped J hook up to the drills and fill them with oats. J decided to seed oats with the grass as a cover crop. I was the go-fer and squeezed in a handful of little tasks that needed tending to around the house. By mid-evening the grass was planted, drills cleaned and tractors put away. After a well deserved shower J and I collapsed!

May 25

Sunday morning we enjoyed sleeping in for the first time since calving season started (i.e. mid February) and woke up to rain drops hitting the window.


No related content found.

Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to What a Week We Had

  1. Buttons says:

    Wow you have been busy. Nice that the weather cooperated. Your photos ar e awesome. Hope you have some “me” timentis week. Hug B

  2. Kim says:

    I’m sure you are breathing a sigh of relief to get so much done! We got another 2.70″ of rain in the last few days, so there’s not much going on around here. I really like the shot of driving the cattle over the hill. (The sign, however, has them going in the wrong direction – ha!)

  3. It was a busy week! Great photos and lots of cattle work. We are still getting rain here, while no one wants to complain, there is some grumbling happening 🙂

  4. Cheri says:

    Wholly cow! You guys have been busy!
    Probably feels good to have all that behind you.
    It’s been busy here too!
    One of our stock pumps went out on Friday! Of course, right before a 3 day weekend. Ugh! But we got it up and running again. Angus Bulls pulled out of the heifers. And yea. My poor neglected house and yard. That’s what I’ll be doing today.
    After the grass dries! We got just over 1/2 inch of rain in 2 hours! Sweet!
    Have a good day Robyn!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *