What a May, What a May

1.  It’s hard to believe it’s almost June.  Wow, what a May.  It was busy with cattle branding and moving pairs to grass.  The month rounded out with much needed rain and severe weather.  It kind of felt like a roller coaster!

May 30

2.  Last Saturday morning, after my cup of coffee, I headed out to the tree patch.  I took pictures of lilac and thicket blooms.  The plum thicket blooms were past their most beautiful days, but I thought they still had a sense of gracefulness.  It’s a good thing I did as the blooms were destroyed by hail that night.

May 30

3.  Yesterday I tackled yard clean up.  After two ice storms last winter, one would think that the trees wouldn’t have too many sticks and twigs to drop.  Not so much.  I was glad when the Rancher showed up to help me.  I raked the yard while he picked up my piles of debris and hauled it away.  We filled over two tractor loader buckets.

May 30

4.   I am reading The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough.  I remember seeing the movie while I was growing up and again about 8 years ago.  I am remembering bits and pieces of the story line as I read.  It’s the details that keep me turning pages.

May 30

5.  This weekend J’s family is hosting an open house to celebrate his Grandma’s 90th birthday.  We are looking forward celebrating the life and good health of a special lady.  In addition, we could both use a day off the ranch.

Linking Up With:

Random 5 Friday with Nancy at A Rural Journal

21 Responses to What a May, What a May

I loved the photos of your blooms, especially the lilacs. We are trying to re-establish some lilacs around here again after an unfortunate incident with some herbicide. We have had a total of 3.75 inches of rain in the past 24 hours. We are thankful that it came without hail, though we had plenty of wind. Enjoy your celebration this weekend!

2. Erin Mullins says:

Great Pictures!!! Love the one with the windmill 🙂 I also can’t believe that it is almost June!!! We too have been swamped this month with 2 graduations and a wedding. I hope that the summer drags out a little so we can enjoy the warmer weather. Have a great weekend 🙂

Erin

3. Nancy says:

I always enjoy your photos and posts. Enjoy your day off. You deserve it. We got much needed rain yesterday! I was loving it. Thankfully only a few small pieces of hail.

4. Sandra Morris says:

We always enjoy the lilacs are sad to see them go.
    May did go quickly…time flies when your having fun 😉

5. Patrice says:

Beautiful photos – I just love that windmill…

Love those lilac blooms and I’m glad you caught the plums before the hail! Enjoy the birthday party for the special lady! 🙂

7. Don’t ya just love those lilacs. Sure wish they would stick around longer, they seem to disappear so quickly. The Thorn Birds was one of my favorite books when I read it…I was probably about your age. Forbidden love is always enchanting….and a page turner.

8. Lisa Harrington says:

Hey Robyn

Sorry about the hail, sad. It has been raining/storming here like crazy. I can tell it’s our anniversary because of all the storms (5/31/08)–our wedding storm hit the Buffalo County Fairgrounds. Good thing we had our reception at the Ramada….good idea Mom!
    Love the lilac pictures. You always take the best photos. I try and check-in with your blog often.
    Have a great weekend.

9. Snap says:

Love your photos — especially the windmill. You’ve been busy … in fact I’m tired now and think I’ll go take a nap! 😀 😀 Happy 5 Day!

10. Nancy says:

I’ve learned to take photos of the blooms at many stages, because around here, you just never know when a storm will roll through… yours are beautiful Robyn. I just love plum bushes, don’t you?

Enjoy your time off the farm and Happy Birthday to Grandma. xo

11. Anne Payne says:

Days off are a rarity when there is so much work to be done but cherished when they come! Have a great time 🙂

12. Beautiful photos…..I remember the BOOK Thornbirds and the movie as well. It would be fun to re-read it after all these years….

13. Gwen says:

Your lilacs are beautiful! Nice variety. Hope you enjoy your weekend.

14. lynn says:

Hail!!! goodness me, I bow to all of you Ranchers, the work, the work! Photos are lovely I especially like your views of your lilacs, they are quite original. The Thorn Birds I read (goodness) 35 years ago, loved the series as well. Great windmill shot, reminds me of home.

15. Karen says:

Wow – 90th birthday! Happy birthday to J’s grandma! It sounds as though you’ve been very busy, as usual. I’m glad you got the chance to enjoy the lilacs and thicket blooms. Have a nice weekend and enjoy the open house!

16. Teresa says:

Lovely blossoms and blooms. It really has been a wild weather month. Hopefully, things will settle down a bit.

17. Beth says:

what a blessing … living to 90 … that will be a fun celebration for all. do enjoy. ( :

18. Tina Barbour says:

Lovely photos, Robyn. I love the lilacs! So beautiful. I have never read The Thorn Birds, but I watched the movie many years ago and loved it. I hope you and your husband enjoy the family gathering. 90 years old–that’s wonderful! 🙂

19. Ewa says:

How very beautiful!!! i love every image

20. Ewa says: