We’re Having a Heat Wave

This week has been a warm one, the hottest of the summer thus far. We had four days with temperatures at 100*or higher. It has also been more humid than normal for our area. You know it’s going to be a hot one when the air conditioner kicks on before the alarm clock rings.

July 25

With the extreme temperatures J and I got up early to get some work done outside. Tuesday we rotated pastures at home. We also pulled off a couple of bulls that got hurt.

Wednesday morning we headed south to finish hauling the far away hay home. We got that field hay hauled and a field of oat hay gathered.

July 25

Between the heat, dry conditions and wind it’s best to not be out and about on the prairie as we are in high fire danger. There have been several fires in our area this week. None that got out of control and luckily J wasn’t called to the fire line.

Below is a picture of an owl nest. J and I spotted it last spring, but I never made the time to photograph it. At one time, J did see baby owls in it. I’m guessing it has been abandoned by now.

July 25

In the heat of the day I’ve been working on mixed media art! It is a fun way to fill up the afternoon and be creative. I’ve been working on “shelf sitters” and using up some of the materials I have on hand. I have several more blocks I want to work on this week.

If you are interested in seeing the final pieces, check out my Mixed Media Art page.

July 25

July 25

Saturday morning J and I head to a friend’s house to pick up my new hens. Last spring we were visiting about chickens and she said she would be willing to raise chicks for me. The new girls are doing well in their new home. I got several different breeds of chickens and it sounds like I’ll have blue or green eggs in the future.

July 25

Sunday J and I decided to take in the local turtle races. The small town/community to the west of us has an annual gathering the end of July and Sunday features turtle races. It’s a family oriented social gathering including turtle races, games (balloon toss, bubble gum blowing, gunny sack races and more) and a potluck.

July 25

July 25

J and I are not big fans of humidity and extreme heat, but we had a good week. A little cattle work, a bit of hay hauling, shop jobs for J and creative projects for me. We spent the weekend enjoying friends and visiting with neighbors. Hard to complain about that!

7 Responses to We’re Having a Heat Wave

It was hot here last week, too. I am not a fan of 100 and humidity!! This morning, we’ve gotten 0.20″ of rain, and I hope it helps cool things off a bit this week. Your weather sure made for a pretty landscape photo though! It should be featured on a canvas.

Have a great week, Robyn!

2. Darcy says:

We’re supposed to hit triple digits today too and I am not looking forward to it. Love that you went to turtle races – I bet that was fun!

3. Alica says:

It’s been horribly hot and very humid here this week too. Little relief in sight, and I’m whining. Ugh.
    The weekend sounds like fun, with turtle races and having good community fun! Hope you have relief from the heat soon, and get some rain to lessen the fire danger!

Alicia,
      It was another hot one yesterday, 99*. Last night We had thunderheads and lightning; no rain at our house. There was rain in the area and several fires.

Between drought conditions and lightning it’s common for ranchers to be on the lookout for fires. J went to the big hill south of the house to sit and watch. Luckily, between prairie firetrucks and rain the fires were short lived.

The weathermen say today is going to be a severe weather awareness day and to keep our eye on the sky.

4. Pamela Galindo says:

Hello from central California…..we’ve had about 3 weeks of triple digits, which is usual for us, and we think this week will bring us temps of 109, 110, and 111…. no end in sight for triple digits……we have low humidity, here, which makes some trips outside a little bearable… sort of. California has lots of wildfires up and down the state and none are contained at this time. No rain for us until probably the end of Oct. or beginning of Nov. and even though we are used to this, I can’t stop myself from griping about it each year!!! I loved your word blocks for the shelf and I think it’s a project I will try. Looks like fun. We have a farmer’s market in Old Town Clovis, my little town, each Friday night with lots of farmers selling their fruits and veggies and other things, too…. music and dancing in the street. Lately, though, it’s just too hot to go. Triple digits don’t drop until around 11 P.M. and then it finally drops to mid-nineties. And summer rolls on for us. I’m always happy to hear from you! PAM

5. Bonnie says:

Glad you have avoided fires. It has been a long hot summer here. I would love to see the turtle races. Hope you get some rain soon. I can’t wait to see your finished projects.

6. CountryMum says:

That is terrible heat! The Californian bushfires have made the news in Australia, as has the devastating fires in Europe. It seems to be so dry in the northern hemisphere, and fires so very terrible.