I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July weekend. J and I spent the holiday making hay.
Due to the big rain last Tuesday night, haying was put on hold for a couple days.
Thursday morning we got the replacement heifers in to fly tag and pull the bulls off. When we took the bulls back to the “bull pasture” J noticed a hole. He started looking around and saw several holes; prairie dog holes. We spent an hour treating the holes. Prairie dogs are very destructive rodents that hurt pastures.
Friday was the first day we could get back in the field. I raked and we let the hay air out a bit before J’s Dad baled. Saturday morning there was little dew and we were able to start early. By mid afternoon we were caught up baling. When I say “caught up” I mean that we have all the hay baled that is dry enough to bale. One can’t put hay up wet and there is a possibility of spontaneous combustion if hay is wrapped up wet.
J cut one filed of hay-bet barley. The oats are ready to cut, but the ground is too wet. Swathers are not made to work in mud. In addition, cutting hay and laying it on wet ground is not good for drying. J found a dry prairie hay field to swath.
Sunday morning we woke up to the pitter patter of rain drops on the window. Late afternoon and into the evening we got more rain. So goes the challenges of haying season.