Time Flies When You Live on a Ranch

November is a few short days away.  Where did October go?  As kids and teenagers time seemed to pass so slow.  College time went much faster than high my high school days; now that I am an adult time simply flies.  Some days I look back and think life needs to slow down a bit.

October 29

Our cattle moving went good last week.  We got Cousin T’s pairs moved closer to home  on Tuesday morning.  In the afternoon, J and I checked our south bunches of cattle.  We are monitoring the calves like a hawk for sickness.  With the dynamic weather we have been experiencing one can not be too careful.

Wednesday morn we combined the two south groups into one big group.  Both groups looked healthy!  Saturday morning Cousin T and Janelle helped us trail these cattle home.  Saturday afternoon we moved Cousin T’s cattle home.

Thursday J and Cousin T went on a business road trip.  I spent most of my day in the kitchen.  I got started on my meal preparations for Saturday’s dinner and caught up on laundry.

October 29

Fritz, the free-spirited cow dog, is not working out for us.  She has worn out her welcome here. Fritz really wants to be a pet and spend time with you.  She wants to work cattle, but is rough around the edges.  After having a good cattle dog, we decided to try again.  Cousin T decided to give Fritz  try; Janelle doesn’t  have chickens  for her to terrorize.

J got a Border Collie puppy from a reputable working dog breeder.  The puppy  is a cutie and has captured our hearts.  J and I are back to cleaning up messes and waking up to an unhappy girl at 1:00 am.  Molly seems to be less tolerant in her “old” age.  She likes to play, but puppy play is not her thing.

October 29

Last Friday J and I tried to gather hay so we can haul it home.  I gathered bales in the morn and noticed I was making tracks in the field.  Not enough tracks to hurt the hay field, but enough to know it was wet.  After dinner J and I both hauled bales.  It was going good until I got stuck.  I set a bale down in line, I put the tractor in reverse and it was a no go.  The ground looked the same as I had  been driving on,  so  I tried again.  It was a no go.  I called J on the radio and said I need help.  It was an easy pull out of the mud and J decided it’s still too wet.

Yesterday we had flurries in the morning.  After dinner we decided to put all the pairs together in the winter pasture.  We headed out on our 4-wheelers to gather cattle; half way through the process the flurries picked up. Ice droplets hit my eyes, ice collected on my glasses and my glasses fogged over. I worked hard at not getting lost and positive self talk.  The Rancher is lucky as he can see without his glasses, but his beard was a furry icicle.

When we headed out to get the pairs we noticed the bred heifers found a hole in the fence.  A hole that was under a snow bank when we checked the fence last week.  We gathered up the heifers and brought them into the calving pasture.

Ranch life is an adventure; some adventures are more fun than others.  The last week has been busy and we have more fall tasks that need to be done “before the snow flies.”  As we drink coffee this foggy morning we see a fresh 2-3 inches of snow fall.

Linking Up At:

Rurality #38 with Madge at The View From Right Here

11 Responses to Time Flies When You Live on a Ranch

1. cheri says:

Good luck with the pup! 🙂 It has been so dang busy here too! Time is just whipping by. Sheesh! Worked and sold our steers. Sorted replacements today. Work feeder heifers tomorrow, preg mamas the next day. Then do all our replacements. Like the old guy say. It keeps ya busy and outta the bars! HA! 🙂

I’m wondering where October went, too! Isn’t that just like cattle to find the only hole in the fence! I’m glad the day we sorted calves was a nice, fall day. It took much longer to gather them than usual, so I’m thankful we weren’t contending with ice. Have a good day, Robyn!

3. tanya breese says:

it flies by here too! what’s up with that! hope things slow down a bit so you can catch a break! as always i enjoy your cow pics!!

Wow more snow you sure are getting a lot makes it hard to get everything done. I have been stuck more times than not and never can get My Hero as he works in town so have to figure it out or call a BIL or neighbour always fun.
    I have only had Border Collies they are wonderful working dogs and love to work it comes so natural to them. They also love attention and the people they bond with. You are going to love this breed.
    Take care and take some time to enjoy those little things in all the crazy busy stuff. I know you already do. HUG B

5. genie says:

My, you definitely have your hands full. Hope the training of the pup goes well for you considering I am a total failure at training anything. Sounds like you have lots of cattle and lots of fields to mow. Sorry you got stuck, but noticed that you carry a radio with you. It looks like you have all your bases covered. I enjoyed my first visit to your blog. genie in va

6. Karen says:

It is amazing how time flies! I would love to have a puppy, but I know they are a lot of work – and yours even more so since you need it to be trained for work. Best of luck!

7. Here’s to everyone’s good health♫♪

Good luck with the new puppy! It sounds like ya’ll have been challenged by the weather lately. I hope you can get ‘stuff’ finished before it gets too much worse. Stay warm! 🙂

9. Gorgeous photography and great post for Rurality ~ I have said it before but will probably say this again ~ You work very, very hard for a living ~ I wonder how many in this country realize it ~ You seem happy and busy and that is what counts ~ thanks for a great post ~ carol, xx

10. This season is sure flying by. I wish it would slow down just a bit- I am not a big fan of cold, dreary winter. But, there is one bright spot- Christmas!!

11. Teresa says:

Oh, it does sound like it’s been quite challenging lately. At least everyone is staying healthy. That’s a challenge in difficult weather.