Those Little Cabbage Things

The last time J and I were in Sam’s Club he said “we should get some of those little cabbage things.”  J eats Brussels sprouts and he likes them!  For those who know J well, I am not making this up!  Brussels sprouts and iceberg lettuce is about as green as he goes.

In high school we had a huge garden.  Mom thought it would be fun to plant Brussels sprouts. So, we did and it was fun.

Brussels sprouts grow on tall tubular stalks.  They are typically 2.5-inches to 4 inches in diameter and look like little cabbages.  These cool season buds have potent anticancer properties.

The French brought Brussels sprouts to Louisiana and started growing them in the 18th century.  In the 1920’s California started planting Brussels sprouts with considerable production in swing by the 1940’s.  Southern California and Baja California, Mexico’s costal fog and cool year-round temperatures make for an ideal growing environment.

California lays claim to the majority of Brussels sprout production in the United States.  32,000 tons worth about $27 million are produced in the United States annually.  The frozen food market demands 80-85% of this vegetable’s production.

I like my sprouts roasted.  Wash, cut off the coarse white button end, toss with extra virgin olive oil, then sprinkle with coarse salt and pepper.

While I was in the process I added mushrooms, onion and garlic to the mix.  Sometimes colorful peppers and tomatoes get tossed in too.

I roast them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400*.

I like to roast extra veggies, then make Breakfast Hash the next day!

I hope you have a great weekend!

Are you a Brussels sprouts eater?  How do you feel about roasted veggies?

14 Responses to Those Little Cabbage Things

I grew up eating green beans, peas and corn. (And repeat the rotation!) I love vegetables today, but I haven’t tried Brussels sprouts. Next time I’m at a place to find some, I may make the plunge. I do like roasted veggies. I have a Roots at 500 degrees recipe that uses beets, sweet potatoes, russet potatoes, carrots and onions. It’s delicious.
    Have a good weekend!

2. I might like them if you smother them with cheese.

I put them in my Ham and Scalloped potatoes Crockpot dish last night. The Hubby liked them even more! Melted Velveeta would also be a good match.

3. Rhonda says:

I love brussels sprouts. I did not know they started in LA in the US. No wonder they were one of the few “different” veggies we had as kids (grew up 30 mi. from LA state line). Here in the PNW they grow really well, so we have them often. Roasting is fabulous too! I add a little of our feta to them.
    Great post.

Rhonda

Feta or melted cheese for Judi would be good.

I am kind of a Fact Finder. I am a firm believer in life long learning and enjoy doing a little research on interesting topics.

I love roasted veggies and especially roasted Brussels Sprouts! There is a fabulous recipe for them by Farmgirl Susan at Farmgirl Fare where she finishes them with fresh lemon juice and grated Parmesan cheese! DOUBLE YUM!!
    Glad you linked up with the Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop! 🙂

5. Oh I love brussle sprouts, but I am lazy and get the frozen ones, I bet these taste way better!

Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comments:)

6. Kari Sanders says:

Never tried brussell sprouts. We all like roasted vegs. In addition to what is listed above, we also do green beans and okra.

Kari
      I hope you try brussels sprouts! If you like cabbage you should like them. No guarantees that the Mister will like them. lol!

7. Linda says:

Thanks for the recipe! It looks really yummy. We’ll have to try it!
    Hope you have a great weekend, too!

8. Ann says:

Hi there! We love brussels sprouts here! My favorite way is also roasted – and my Honey Bunny likes them as well…Have a GREAT weekend!

9. Patti Wilson says:

Don’t forget, sheep love brussles sprouts.