This First Week of March

It’s been a busy week and we have more work to do.

Monday we spent all afternoon sorting replacement heifers. This is one job that the Rancher does not enjoy, but an important task. We also sorted off bangs vaccinated heifers to sell. It was a beautiful day to be outside and my favorite mechanic (Roy) came to help.

March 6

The heifers kept us busy Tuesday and Wednesday. Due to frigid cold temperatures we kept a close eye on the girls. First time cows and babies required more attention, especially when it’s cold. We’ve had to put several babies in the warming box to get them good and dry. After a good suck it’s a nice place for the calves to lay for a couple hours.

March 5

This morning we are shipping bangs vaccinated heifers and this afternoon I can be found in the kitchen. We are running cows through the chute to give them their pre- calving shot tomorrow and Todd and Roy will be over to help.

March 6

The moon has been gorgeous the last couple of nights. A pen full of pregnant heifers laying under a bright full moon is one of the perks of my job. Warm temperatures are headed our way and we can’t wait!

7 Responses to This First Week of March

1. Sandra says:

Sounds busy!!
    We are still waiting for a warm up!
    Beautiful shots!

2. Alica says:

Ok I have a question…what are bangs vaccinated heifers? 🙂

Alicia,
      Bangs vaccination is to protect cattle against Brucellosis. Brucellosis is, primarily, a ruminant animal (cattle, bison, deer, elk and non-ruminant swine) bacterial disease with the most severe contagious symptom being abortion. Undulat Fever is the human form of Brucellosis.

3. Cheri says:

One of my favorite things to do. Sort cattle! Be it on horse, my preferred method, or on foot! 🙂
    We took our 2 remaining heifers and a young cow in to see how far along. The heifers 5-7 days, the cow is going to town due to a lung condition. I was hoping the ride to town would stress the heifers and they would pop. No such luck! Ha!
    Wednesday we will be working all 28 bulls! Will be a long, long day! They are a little less cooperative then the cows!
    Have fun working cows! And hope your weather warms for those little babes.
    Cheri

Cheri,
      I like to do cattle work too. I wouldn’t want to do it everyday, but I do enjoy it.
      Hope your heifers calf soon. We are about a third of the way through ours. Now that we have a nice weather outlook they can all calf in the next week! They are talking lows in the 20’s and highs in the 40’s maybe 50 for the long range forecast. 🙂

Good luck working the bulls and be safe. That is a time consuming project.

4. CountryMum says:

Lovely photos. I so enjoy reading about your week. Hope that warmer weather comes as forecasted.

5. Nancy says:

Gorgeous photos Robyn! We are enjoying warmer weather today as well.
    Happy birthday!