Fall is officially here! I love the crisp mornings and mild afternoons. The weather has been beautiful in our area. We even got .30″ of rain on Monday. Here are a few more events from the week:
1. Last weekend we started chopping corn. Between breakdowns and rain our 3 day project is taking longer than we expected. With good luck we will be done today. We have a pile of feed for this winter and another big project almost in the books.
2. I am eating and sharing tomatoes, jalapenos, peppers and more tomatoes from my garden. There is nothing like eating a garden fresh tomato. I wish J was a tomato eater. I see some of the jalapenos are turning black, what does that mean?
My shadow likes to check for produce with me. Sometimes she gets distracted and left behind.
4. We had an incident with the hens and the cow dog. There were two causalities and two hens are still MIA. The old girls are slowing down and the red hens are molting. I am getting five to seven eggs a day.
5. I have been helping Sister with a writing project. I love being able to work with Sister, interview livestock people and write. It’s also a creative way to fill my time between making meals for J and the neighbor who is chopping for us.
6. Today you get a bonus random as I wanted to share this collage. East of Mom and Dad there is a family that raises produce and sells it at their on farm market. They pick cantaloupe and watermelon in the morning; by dark they are sold out. The daughter likes to raise small vegetables and uses it as one of her FFA projects. We stopped here several times on our way home from the State Fair.
I hope your start to the autumn season has been a good one.