The First Week of Fall

Fall is officially here!  I love the crisp mornings and mild afternoons.  The weather has been beautiful in our area.  We even got .30″ of rain on Monday.  Here are a few more events from the week:

1.  Last weekend we started chopping corn.  Between breakdowns and rain our 3 day project is taking longer than we expected.  With good luck we will be done today.  We have a pile of feed for this winter and another big project almost in the books.

September 26

2.  I am eating and sharing tomatoes, jalapenos, peppers and more tomatoes from my garden.  There is nothing like eating a garden fresh tomato.  I wish J was a tomato eater.  I see some of the jalapenos are turning black, what does that mean?

My shadow likes to check for produce with me.  Sometimes she gets distracted and left behind.

September 263.  J’s Mom’s fall flowers keep the yard colorful.  My flowers petered out last week.

September 26

4. We had an incident with the hens and the cow dog.  There were two causalities and two hens are still MIA.  The old girls are slowing down and the red hens are molting.  I am getting five to seven eggs a day.

September 26

5.  I have been helping Sister with a writing project.  I love being able to work with Sister, interview livestock people and write.  It’s also a creative way to fill my time between making meals for J and the neighbor who is chopping for us.

6.  Today you get a bonus random as I wanted to share this collage.  East of Mom and Dad there is a family that raises produce and sells it at their on farm market.  They pick cantaloupe and watermelon in the morning; by dark they are sold out.  The daughter likes to raise small vegetables and uses it as one of her FFA projects.  We stopped here several times on our way home from the State Fair.

September 26

I hope your start to the autumn season has been a good one.

21 Responses to The First Week of Fall

I enjoyed seeing your corn chopping photos and seeing how a different operation handles this crop. The flowers and old fence are so pretty. Sorry about your chicken incident. I am enjoying the cooler days, as well, though it’s supposed to be hotter today and tomorrow.

2. cheri says:

I too am enjoying the cool mornings/evenings and warm afternoons. The old fence with the dog and flowers are very pretty. Cow dogs and chickens! Anything that runs from them they think is fair game! I don’t like tomatoes, but love them right from the garden. A different taste I guess.

3. I love the photo of “your shadow.” 🙂
    All of these – just wonderful photos.. and that looks like a fantastic local produce source!
    Happy Fall, Robyn!

4. wonderfully creative and varied photos ~ love the little doggie peaking through the fence and the purple flowers doing the same ~ Happy Weekend to you ~ carol ^_^

5. Maggid says:

My daddy was a performing artist. he came from Farmer City, Illinois. Every year he would talk about “Good Tomatoes.” he would be excited, and buy a beautiful, red tomato and, as he ate it he would go on and on about “real” tomatoes. I never knew what the heck he was going on about until i moved to Missouri and stopped at a roadside stand.

I sure like the picture of “your shadow.”
    Happy Friday!

6. snap says:

a cool morning here every now and then, but still way too hot. there is nothing like a home grown tomato … the taste is amazing. fun to see your corn photos and your *shadow*. chickens and cow dogs. I’m guessing chickens don’t like being herded. 😉 i love purple flowers. have a great week!

7. Amy says:

Great photos! I have been enjoying our tomatoes myself, though this years crop is very late, and sparse, each one tastes dreamy. Aww, your ‘shadow’ is so sweet. Happy Weekend!

8. Teresa says:

Hope you get the corn done soon. It’s always a good feeling to have all the winter’s feed ready for the animals. I believe the black on the peppers is sunburn.

9. Chicagoland is enjoying cooler nights but really nice 70-80 degree days….lovely to visit your blog. My post: http://lauriekazmierczak.com/bean-there/

10. Yum! I’m jealous you still have tomatoes. Mine didn’t do very well this year.

11. Sharon says:

Sounds like fall is in full swing in your neighborhood! Those flowers are beautiful! And your little dog is adorable 🙂 Have a wonderful weekend and don’t work too hard!

12. Lots of great farm goodness here. I love your “shadow” how cute. That shot with the flowers through the fence is so pretty. Looks like you’ve been plenty busy with all the harvest work. I love fresh tomatoes.

13. I had one aster bush pop up this year — love these fall flowers! Sorry about the chickens — it’s always hard to lose them. xo

14. Diane says:

Aww, your shadow is adorbale peeking through that fence at you. xox

15. Diane says:

Sorry.. posted again because for some reason it listed wrong url for my blog.. bleh….

16. Kathy says:

Oh I soooo wish we lived closer so you could share some of your tomatos with ME! 🙂

I would love to share my tomatoes with you, Kathy!
      I tried to go to your blog and am having problems. I will have to try again.

17. diane says:

I love your “shadow” … 😀
    There is nothing like fresh produce!!
    Have an amazing weekend!

18. Auntie says:

You are a special little lady and I love you.
    I like the pictures and all the stories you share with us. Keep up the good work.

19. mary says:

Mmmmm! Homegrown, fresh tomatoes. Yummy. With cucumbers in a sandwich, homemade marinara sauce. Caprese salad, as a tomato basil soup! Or my favorite way, with just a tiny bit of salt and eaten like an apple.

And, btw, you have the cutest shadow ever!