The Daily Practice of Gratitude

The daily practice of gratitude keeps the heart open regardless of what comes our way. ~Anonymous

February 22

Tuesday J and I made a trip to the Hills. We dropped off his 4-wheeler at the mechanic and picked up my new glasses. I got bigger lenses and I can see so much better with no scratches to look through. A trendy frame and fun saleswoman topped off the purchase.

Have you eaten at Blaze Pizza? I love the build your own idea and old fashion open  oven. It’s like going to subway only you’re getting a pizza vs. a sandwich.

February 22

Wednesday I cleaned house. I hadn’t done a deep clean for a few weeks and decided I better scrub the tub and mop floors. Molly got a much needed bath and I put my snowman decor away for the winter. I’m not quite ready to get out spring/easter decor, it is February after all.

February 22

Thursday afternoon J thought it looked like the bred heifers were acting funny. He went to see what was going on and found this little gal. She’s early, she’s tiny and she’s got spunk! Sunday afternoon baby #2 arrived. From the looks of things, I think it will be a few days until we get another calf, but you never know. We brought the girls in last night and stared night checks, hello calving season 2016.

February 22

It’s hard to be grateful for wind, so I’m going to say we had an exceptionally windy Friday. The front hit early in the night. It between the howling wind and rain pelting the windows we didn’t get much sleep. I am glad our old ranch house is built solid!

Northwest of us 60ish miles had recorded wind gusts of 83 mph. There were many recordings of 70+ mph gusts within 40 miles of us.

February 22

Saturday was a gorgeous day for J and I to be outside. We swapped the bred heifers and the calves. The heifers are now in the “calving pasture” with easy access to the barn. This swap means moving bunks and cattle.

Sunday afternoon we sorted calves and picked out our replacement heifers.

February 22

On the agenda this week, more cattle sorting and shipping a few calves.

The above collage is what I sent Mom for her birthday.Mom’s birthday is coming up later this week and she opened the gift I sent her early.

What are you grateful for today?

8 Responses to The Daily Practice of Gratitude

What cute photos of the calf and your dog! We had a lot of wind here last week, too. The temperatures are supposed to be closer to normal this week, which is good. Have a good week, Robyn!

2. Darcy says:

Good luck with calving! Your first calf is pretty cute. 🙂

3. Alica says:

I’m grateful for the spring like weather we’re having. It might not last…after all, like you said, it’s February!…but we’ll enjoy it while we can! I don’t like to hear howling wind either…it keeps me awake worrying about downed power lines, etc.

4. Jona says:

It is hard to be grateful for wind, I agree! Last week, our neighbor’s weather station recorded 72 mph wind with 85 mph gusts on our hill in Lyman County.
    I am grateful to be able to keep up with you, at least in glimpses, on your blog! 🙂

Oh windy days. The older I get the more they bother me, especially when I’m not well rested.
      Thank you for being a loyal blog reader, my friend. I think of you often and miss you.

5. Pam Galindo says:

Hello Robyn…….that new calf must be the cutest calf ever! Here in central California we are, once again, without rain which is not good for the snow-pack in the Sierra-Nevada’s. And, our temp was 65 today and we expect to get to 75 degrees by Thursday which will melt what snow we have in the mountains and we don’t want that to happen this early. Doesn’t sound to me like I was speaking in a grateful way….but I am grateful that El Nino weather system has given us some rain leaving our foothills lovely shades of green instead of dry brown. And I think I can speak for everyone in our drought-stricken valley when I say that I am grateful for every single drop of rain. I thought the collage you made for your Mom’s birthday was really lovely….I collect “sheep” and noticed how cute the collage was. I am grateful for your blog, too, as it inspires me.

6. Madge says:

The new calf is about as cute as cute can be… We’ve had lots of rain, not much wind and thankfully there will be snow pack in the Cascades to take into summer.. Last year was the driest on record and oh the horrible wild fires in eastern WA were the worst ever… I am thankful for my husband, we celebrate 32 years this week…

Happy Anniversary Madge! I hope you and your Hubs have a wonderful day. On Valentine’s Day the news had a segment about a couple that have been married 82 years. He is 104 and she is 103. They still live on the ranch! Their son and his family are also on the ranch. It was a neat article.