The Colors of Spring

This year, spring was a long time coming on the prairie.  March was one of the coldest recorded in South Dakota history.  We received more snow in March and April than we got in the traditional winter months.  We are thankful for the moisture, even though it made a lot of extra work during calving season.  Between the cold spring and drought we are just starting to see blooms, tree buds and green grass.

The prairie is dotted with these yellow blooms.  The Rancher thinks it’s wild celery.

May 16

I took these pictures in one of our shelter belts.  It does my heart good to see green buds on the trees and lilac bushes.  I hope to have blooms to photograph soon.

May 16

While gathering and feeding bulls earlier this week I came across these little flowers.  They are the closest thing to lilac I have seen all spring.  The subtle splash of color caught my eye right away.

May 16

Molly thinks it’s a dream come true when I take her for a ride or when she gets to spend time outside.  She is always willing to help.

May 16

My Mother-In-Law has a few blooming plants.  These pink blooms were too pretty not to photograph.

May 16

The Rancher and I make our home and living on the South Dakota prairie.

May 16

This concludes The Nurture Photo Challenge ~ Spring 2013 hosted by Alicia, at Project Alicia, Kristi, at Live and Love Out Loud, and Rebecca, at Bumbles and Light.  Thank You ladies for coming up with inspiring spring photo prompts and hosting another fun challenge.

24 Responses to The Colors of Spring

1. Mollie look so happy!! Pets mske my day..their so sweet just love us no matter what!

Thanks for the comments, Linda. I agree, the connections we make with our pets is a special kind of bond.

2. Where did my comment go? I said that Mollie looks so happy..pets just make my day…they love us no matter what …

Spring has been a long-time coming this year, especially since things were SO early last year. I always enjoy seeing the “flowers” in the pastures, too. Someone wise once said, “Weeds are only flowers out of place.”

4. Sandra says:

I just love the pop of color after so many months of cold!
    The girls have been bringing lilacs in all week. I love it!

Love your photos 🙂

5. I love your purple and pink flowers mosaics. Very pretty 🙂

Molly is grinning from ear to ear! 🙂
    I’m glad spring is finally making an appearance up your way!

Yeah for Spring Robyn. Molly looks like a happy camper as they say. It is so nice to feel the warmth of the sun and the wet grasses clinging to our rubber boots. Your flowers are beautiful. I am not sure where our warmth is yet but I am sure it is making its way here:) Hug B

8. Nancy says:

The colors of spring — we appreciate them so much in the Plains. It means Winter is truly over for another year.

Lovely images/collages Robyn!

9. Bev says:

Love spring pictures… and those baby calves!!

10. Your pictures are wonderful. It is so pretty there.

11. lynn says:

Molly is too cute, beautiful photos, Mom and sidekick are beautiful. South Dakota Beautiful country

12. I am so glad you are finally seeing some signs of spring in your parts. It will be summer shortly, so hoping you get to enjoy a little of your springtime before the heat begins. It’s a toss-up as to who is cuter, the baby calf or Molly.

13. Lovely flower shots…you have wild celery dotting the fields and pastures there…here it is buttercups 🙂

14. Snap says:

Look at the smile on Molly’s face! I bet she is enjoying all the blooms, too.

15. Teresa says:

I’m glad you’re seeing some spring colors now. I am grateful our drought has been removed with our recent rains. Hope you get some too.

16. Karen says:

I always love seeing photos of your cows – there’s something restful about it (although maybe not so much for you). The pink flowers are so pretty. I’m happy you’re finally getting some Spring colors on your ranch!

17. Our Lilacs have come and are just fading now… hope yours come soon!

18. Ewa says:

The dog just made me smile! And oh, I’m so happy our calving is done for this spring. The only thing; your banner reminded me that one calf is missing his ear tags….hmmmm

19. I’ve never met a real “rancher” so this is pretty cool for me. I love nature and I would love to someday see a real prairie. The closest I’ve ever been to a prairie is by watching “Little House on the Prairie.” (Don’t laugh. It’s actually a favorite in this household.) But thanks for giving us a little tour around your ranch. Love the (mam?) bull and baby bull pic. 😀

20. Mitzi says:

Molly looks quite happy to be out and about and those flowers are all so unique. Love the lilac ones, wouldn’t it be awesome to know what type they are? I would be amiss if I forgot to mention the cows – who I’m certain are happy for the warmer weather. Have a great weekend.

21. bettyl says:

You have some very lovely colors in your post today! I’m loving them all since we are getting into wintry weather here in New Zealand. Your puppy looks so happy!

22. That wild celery is beautiful as is that last photo! Thanks so much for joining us in the Nurture Photography Challenge. I hope you’ll be back again this summer! 🙂