Thanksgiving Has Shone In Our Hearts

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration. J and I ate dinner at Cousin T’s with J’s extended family. We had a fun afternoon visiting and playing cards.

When I started my blog I stopped sending out Christmas cards. I was posting several times a week and figured if family and friends wanted to know what we were up to they could look on my blog or Facebook page. This year I decided to send a Thanksgiving greeting.

The back side reads: May we be thankful for our many blessings and celebrate the health safety and freedoms that we have.

November 30

November 30

We have had a little taste of winter. The temperatures have been cold with single digit lows and highs in the mid 20’s. I’m not complaining as we’ve had sunshine and the wind has been minimal. Wednesday we got a little snow and it snowed again Saturday night. Just enough to cover up the brown ground and provide pretty morning frost.

November 30

The cows continue to “go out and make a living” grazing. At the same time, they don’t seem to turn their nose up on the days we cake them. It’s good to gather them up and get a good look at the ole girls. Rosie likes the opportunity to round up cows.

November 30

A couple of you have asked about cow cake. I’m not sure why it’s called cake, but range cubes is another name. It’s a highly concentrated feed for cows that comes in pieces that are 2-4 inches long and about an inch in diameter. We find it’s a great supplement to cattle grazing winter range. The “cake wagon” is a feeder we have on the back of the pickup that distributes the cake. J has it calibrated so we know how many pounds of cake are being augured out for the cows.

November 30

J has taken advantage of the slow down and spent some time hunting. He went looking for a deer one afternoon. He saw a few white tails, but no big bucks. Friday he went pheasant hunting with Cousin T, Cousin T’s Uncle, the brother to Cousin T’s Uncle and Roy. They had a successful bird hunt! Saturday J, Roy and Jay (Roy’s cousin) called coyotes and deer hunted. Roy shot a nice mule deer!

November 30

Yesterday we met Sister, Kolby and Miles in Motorcycle City. They went to Wyoming on a sheep delivery trip and came through the Hills on their way back to Iowa. We had a short, but nice visit.

J and I went on to the Big City to run errands. We stopped at ate supper with T and B on our way home. It was another wonderful day with family.

November 30

For God, who said, “Light shall shine out of darkness,” is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. 2 Corinthians 4:6

November 30

8 Responses to Thanksgiving Has Shone In Our Hearts

1. Cheri says:

Hi Robyn,
    We’ve had the cold here too. One day the wind was just howling!
    A skiff of snow on the ground sent the cows begging for food! Ha! So we caved and started drizzling them a little hay.
    Have just a bit more cattle work to do before the babies start hitting the ground.
    Baby Miles is getting to be a big boy! They grow up so dang fast!
    Glad you all had a beautiful turkey day.
    I need to go pheasant hunting. I love pheasant! Mm Mmm!
    Cheri

Cheri,

Hope your cattle work and prep goes good. When do you start calving?

Miles is over twenty pounds and 3 weeks from his fist birthday. Sister says he is an excellent and non-picky eater. He gets that trait from his Daddy! He’s a pretty easy going little guy. I see evidence that he could be a character.

How do you prepare your pheasants? J breasted these out and I made enchiladas.

For Thanksgiving, we got an ice storm! We kept our electricity and the cattle stayed on electric fence, so all’s well. Others weren’t so fortunate.

I can hear it melting now after it’s been a sheet of ice since Thanksgiving evening. Our school had an extra day of vacation today, too. I’m sure the kids didn’t complain!

Kim,

I think Mom and Dad got a Thanksgiving ice storm and the electricity did go out. I haven’t talked to Mom, but she texted me that they got through it fine.

It was pretty sketchy in the Big City yesterday. J drove about 45 mph on the interstate and thought that was plenty fast. Today was balmy and got up to 27*, with no wind. It was a nice day, so Rosie and I took a walk outside. I should have taken pictures of the frost and blue-gray sky.

Sounds like everyday this week will be a little warmer; they are talking temps in the mid 40’s by Thursday.

3. It was a special surprise to get your card in the mail, Robyn!
    Our deer hunting season is winding down. Mitch hasn’t had much time to hunt this year, with a very full work load, so we’re thankful each of the three older boys got a deer. Two during the rifle hunt, one archery. They are kicking around plans to do a late pheasant hunt out west again around Christmas break. Especially excited for when Wookie gets to join on her first pheasant hunt.
    I am so keen on the big sky and the stunning horizon line between blue sky and livestock dotted land in your photos.
    Today we have heavy snowfall for Dec. 1st.. it’s a winter wonderland out there!

4. CountryMum says:

I really like your idea of a Thanksgiving card, and they look really great. I bet they were very well received.

Lynda,

I like the idea of fun mail and enjoy getting Christmas cards from family and friends. We get so much mail at once I thought an early greeting would be nice. Your’re right, I have had some enjoyable comments about the cards.

Oh I loved the card you look happy that makes me happy. You and J are doing what you love it makes it easier if you like it. It sounds like you have the same weather we have. It looks like a green Christmas for us. The cows do not mind. Thank you andnhugs to you. Love that last shot. Hugs B