Surrounded By Color

Happy March! The first day of March came in like a lamb.  It was a sunny beautiful day in the mid 50’s; Saturday was just as nice.  Friday, we ran cows through the chute at home on and helped Cousin T do the same on Saturday.

With the mild temps I have been letting the hens out to roam around.  They like to mosey about the yard and find stuff to eat.  The girls went back to laying for me; I am getting 4-8 eggs a day.  The hens have red combs and wattles.  Some have an orange tint to their feathers.

March 3

As the saying goes, “Nothing runs like a Deere.”  Green and Yellow are the signature colors of John Deere equipment.

March 3

It’s hard not to be impressed with a bright and beautiful blue sky.  Even the Muddy Creek reflects blue.

March 3

I saw these bird’s nests when I was in Nebraska.  I like the contrast of color and texture between the nests, thicket and sky.

March 3

There are so many colors around us.  I am always looking for something unique to photograph or thinking about how to make everyday things artistic.  The colors that paint our days help me be more present in the moment.

13 Responses to Surrounded By Color

1. Tamar says:

Nothing more green than a john deer tractor! Nice shots!

2. Heh, Robin. Been getting you comments thru facebook, thanks so much…I had to do some changing I was getting way too much spam. May change it back after awhile. Anyway, love your choices this week, happy the girls are back to laying eggs, nothing beats a fresh egg. Happy week, sweets.

3. Verna Lantz says:

Nice set. The colors really pop. I like it!

4. Roxihardegree says:

Awesome DOF on that nest shot and great color. Oh,,,, love fresh eggs.

5. Thank you for coming by sharing your creative photography on Weekly Top Shot #72!

6. LindaG says:

It was windy and cold here.
    Love your pictures!
    Have a great week!

7. Stephanie says:

Lovely set of pictures. Nothing beats a blue sky and the nests do make a nice contrast.

I love your colors of the rainbow!! 🙂
    Congrats on the egg production picking up again, it’s getting better here too!

9. Teresa says:

I love your chickens looking so happy to be outside! The blue skies are pretty awesome too!

Your photos are beautiful. Take care my friend. Hug B

11. lessandra says:

I like the way you presented your scavenger hunt finds – and the narration! I didn’t know hens didn’t lay eggs in the winter (or when it’s cold?). Love your bird nests!

Lessandra,

Thank You for the comment. I am glad you liked this post.

Laying hens go through a molting period. They shed feathers, grow new feathers and stop laying. Cold temps and old age can also stop the hens from laying. My hens are old and basically quit me early in November. In the last 10 days, or so, they have gone to laying.

A hen should lay 5-6 eggs a week. I have 14 hens and have gathered 9 eggs/day the last few days. I am so excited the old girls are back in production.

12. Maryvel says:

You sound as exciting about your chickens as I am about mine! I love my chickens and of course I love their eggs. Ours pretty well lay all year round, even through our bitter winter up here in Canada. We try our best to keep them warm and give them lots of light and that seems to do the trick. Any way, I was draw here right away by the title of your blog, I love to meet other farmer’s wives and better yet also interested in photography! You did and awesome job here, thanks for sharing and nice meeting you!