Standing on a Fence Post

May, always proves to be one of the busiest months of the year.  This year is no different.  May is a month full of cattle work, early mornings and long days for the Hubby.

The majority of our calves are branded and we hope to get the rest of them branded soon.  Earlier this week, J and the folks helped some neighbors work calves.  There are a few cows left to calf; the tail enders always seem to take their dear sweet time.

There are pairs to move to grass and yearlings to work.  All in the very near future.

I have to admit, I was very excited when I captured this calf shot last weekend.  The neighbors Horned Hereford Bulls were along the roadside too.  I couldn’t help but stop!

Flexible scheduling becomes very important this time of year.  Plans are made, but often changed.  The work will all get done.  Sometimes it seems a bit overwhelming and hard to head to the town job knowing there is so much to do at home.

The weather has been beautiful this week.  Warm sunny days for growing grass, working calves and farming.  After our blessing of rain earlier this month we are in need of another good watering.

The cattle are ready for green grass and the grass is almost ready for them.

Fritz has discovered playing in the dirt is fun!  I have discovered that Fritz can reach over the sides of the tractor rims I am using as my container garden.  I am guessing my spinach is not impressed with puppy play.

How is your May going?  Is the weather cooperating so you can get your cattle work done?

Linking Up With:

A Rural Thursday #17 at A Rural Journal and Two Bears Farms

Thankful Thursday at The Wife of a Dairyman

Bigger Picture Moments at Alita Jewel’s Treasures

Friday Fences #33 at Life According to Jan and Jer

Farmgirl Friday #58 at Deborah Jean’s Dandelion House and White Wolf Summit Farmgirl

Foto Friday #46 ~ Feathers or Fur at Photograph Life

Farm Fresh Friday # 3 at Sall’s Country Life

Farm Photo Friday at Fresh From the Farm

39 Responses to Standing on a Fence Post

1. Super busy here too with hay to cut, rake and bale. Beans to plant. Cattle and calves to work. Plus we have a puppy that has discovered dirt too! Fun times!

Jamie
      Good Luck with all the spring work. Hope all goes well. It’s amazing what those little paws will discover.

We won’t have hay to cut until the end of June.

2. Teresa says:

Oh, May is a really busy month. I agree it’s hard to go to work when there is so much going on at the farm. Love the first calf shot. 🙂

MMT, I saw the pheasant one day driving to work. I don’t know if you can tell, but he is standing on one leg. It was neat to watch him hop around on the fence post.

3. Yep busy here too! Love your photos – the pheasant photo!!!!

4. Marie says:

Your pheasant is beautiful! And I love the calves and cows! Farmwork is harder than most people can imagine. I’ve never had to do it, but I’ve been around it at different times in my life. My brother used to load hay. It’s just all very very hard work! I have a lot of respect for people who are involved with it.

Marie,
      Thank You for your kind words about farmwork. Its comments like this that help me realize that there are non-ag people that appreciate what we do for a living.

5. Kim, USA says:

Your first photo is a great find. Good thing it did not fly when you take a shot of this bird. Love how the country side gets busy after a long cold winter. Great shots thanks for sharing.

Friday Fence

6. Tanya says:

oh that fritz sure is cute!!

Tanya
      Fritz is a little fur ball and a lot more wooly than Roxie. Not only does she like to dig in the dirt, but roll in it too. She is kind of a dirty little girl. lol!

7. Love that first shot- so colorful!

8. I love the colours in the first photo. How nice of the pheasant to pose for you.

Thanks for stopping in EG. Looks like you had good luck with a bird sitting on a fence too. I like the texture and color differences you captured!

9. I’m having a hard time just keeping up with the few goslings that were born this Spring — no cattle in our pasture this year, as it needed some work.

Love your photos, Robyn. What a great life!

Nancy,
      Good Luck with the gosling chasing! Have you seen the guy that trains his geese and walks around at State Fairs with them? He even dresses them up and carries a big Sheppard’s hook. I saw him in Grand Island last year, it was neat.

10. Janis says:

Yep your so right…May is a very busy time! Spring house cleaning,flower planting n grass mowing! Love all you photos!

Janis
      I have mowed 3 times already, each week one day earlier than the last! I told J I really don’t want to mow twice a week. If it doesn’t rain soon I many not have to worry much.

Good Luck with your spring cleaning.

Great photos, love the pheasant and cute little Fritz! 🙂 Hope ya’ll get some rain soon.

12. Lori says:

Love Love Love the pheasant, he is beautiful! Love them all really!
    No cattle, just kids to round up, hehe!

13. LindaG says:

No cattle work, but we are getting packed around the rain.
    Hope you get some more rain, too!

14. May says:

I envy how closely your life is tied to the passing of the seasons. I think that helps keep a person more aware of the passing of time and the gifts that come along with it.

Each season is unique and orderly. I agree, the seasons do make us aware of our surroundings. The daily tasks and activities on a ranch depend on what is going on outside.

15. dianne says:

oh my! it’s as if each of them is posing for you

16. Nancy at Coneflower Ranch says:

Just reading about all the activity on your ranch makes me tired! Wow, but how rewarding it must be at the end of the day. 🙂

17. Nice series of photos.

Oh Robyn I hear you about having to leave the farm knowing there is so much to do and I always feel guilty but modern farm wives have to be very flexible. Our calves are growing and soon we will be shipping some stockers. I just let them into the field beside the house and took some great shots.
    You have great shots I love your dog Fritz and that bird shot is amazing. It has not rained here very much but it is our long weekend so I hope it does not there is lots to do.
    Take it easy Robyn have a nice weekend. Hug B

19. Roan says:

No cattle work here, just small town flowers and a dog. We will be planting our garden this weekend. Can’t wait for those fresh tomatoes. Enjoyed seeing the cows and really like the black one with the barbed wire over its nose. Very nice post!

Thanks for stopping in and for the nice comment, Roan! Hope you have a wonderful weekend and best wishes for a productive garden.

20. Lisa Sall says:

Ahh, that Fritz is a cutie! I think I’d just plant some extra spinach and let him play in it! (better him rolling in that than the manure from all those cows:) Thanks for linking up with Farm Fresh Friday today! Have a Great weekend!!

21. Bonnie says:

I sure wish I could figure out how to get your posts to show up on my blog. We aren’t too far from each other. I’m up in Deadwood. Hope you are getting some of the rain we got tonight. I love your photos, as they remind me of home. Love the pheasant on the post and the bull.

22. Pat says:

What a great capture of the pheasant – such a colorful bird! And I love your picture of Fritz. He’s posing nicely for you.

23. First, Robyn, I love what you are doing with your blog! I’ve been reading for a “long” time so I feel like I’ve observed it evolve. I absolutely LOVE the pheasant photo and the Hereford capture. I’m a Hereford cattle fan!

Katie,
      Thank You so much for your support; I appreciate it! The longer I blog the more I feel I am re-discovering and sharing my “true self;” which was one of my goals with starting this blog.

24. Robyn:

You take beautiful photos. I love them!

Anne