Spring Beauty and Travel

J and I spent the weekend away from the ranch. Saturday we attended a wedding at Sylvan Lake. It was a foggy misty evening and the wedding ended up being inside vs. overlooking the lake. We had a fun time visiting with friends and neighbors.

This is a picture of one of our stock dams at home.

This is a picture of one of our stock dams at home.

Sunday we traveled to a little further south to visit friends J went to college with. I am just enough younger that C and K graduated before I got to SDSU. Before getting to C and K’s we stopped at The Mammoth Site.

In 1974 mammoth bones were discovered while excavating land for a housing development. It’s believed that this area was a sink whole that mammoths, and other animals, fell into and could not get out of. This is an active scientific project open to the public for education and awareness. June 10 Monday morning we ran a few errands in the Big City, ate dinner with J’s folks and made our way home. It was fun to get away for a couple days to celebrate with neighbors, visit friends and enjoy the beauty of the Black Hills.

Wild Flowers on the prairie.

Wild flowers on the prairie.

What did you do the first weekend of June?

Linking Up a Rurality #65 With Madge at The View From Right Here

10 Responses to Spring Beauty and Travel

1. kerrie says:

I spent the whole weekend at our first Ag Fair. My son shows working steers/oxen and it was the kick off of our “fair season”. It also was training for our 7.5 month old Aussie about “fair life”. He exceeded all expectations. A gazillion people stopped to pet him, he got tied in the wash rack while we washed our animals etc. Its Tuesday and I am still dragging my butt. Sounds like your weekend was more relaxing 🙂

Kerrie,

I had no idea there are working steer/oxen shows; I would be interested in knowing more. I showed calves growing up.
      The Rancher needs to start some training work on Rosie. Glad you are happy with the progress your Aussie is making. A good dog is priceless.
      It does take a day or two to “recover” from being at a fair or show, but it’s worth it.

Oh my goodness; the oxen project sounds interesting. Keep me posted on how your show season goes, Kerrie.

2. Emily Grace says:

I hid from the world and cooked for a church supper. There was laundry interspersed, but I don’t mind laundry. We need the rest after the hustle of May.

Lovely photos, Robyn!

I love the prairie flower photos. When we were checking bulls and fence in the pasture last week, I had to have Randy stop a few times for some close-ups! He is so patient!

4. Cheri says:

It’s so nice to get away for a few days. I always feel guilty sometimes! Ugh!
    How cool to see the dinosaur site. I love museums.
    Cheri

Cheri,
      It’s hard to leave the yard because there is always work to do. At the same time, I am learning that we really do need to get away once in a while. Even an over night outing can be refreshing.

It was fun to see our friends. They ranch too, so we got to see their replacement heifers and young pairs. We also got to check out his calving barn too. It’s good to see how other people do things, makes the Rancher think.

The Mammoth site was neat. I will try to get some pictures up on the blog.

5. Roan says:

Everyone needs to get away occasionally. I suspect it isn’t an easy thing to leave the ranch. Sounds like you had a great time.

6. buttons says:

Glad you got away sounds like fun nice to go before it gets busy again. Beautiful prairie flowers. Take care now I am away☺ hug B

7. Jen says:

The sink hole sounds really interesting. Glad you had a great weekend and all is well in your hood 🙂