Raspberry Coconut Bars

Orrville, Ohio was the home to Jerome Monroe Smucker.  In 1897 young Mr. Smucker pressed locally purchased apples to make apple butter and cider.  He was so proud of is work he signed the lid on every jar of apple butter he made.

Four generations later the J.M. Smucker Company has grown into a world-wide manufacturer of fruit spreads, ice cream toppings, beverages, shortening, natural peanut butter and other products.

What started out as selling apple cider and butter out of a horse-drawn wagon has grown to include many household name brands including Smucker’s, Jif, Crisco, Pillsbury, Eagle Brand, R.W. Knudsen Family, and Hungry Jack to name a few in the United States.

The first time I made Raspberry Coconut Bars was last year for a community blood drive.  They were a BIG HIT!  I had people stop me on the street and ask for the recipe, big hit!

My recipe is slightly adapted from the original I found at Taste of Home’s website.

Ingredients

Crust:

1 Box Cake Coconut Supreme or Lemon Flavor

1/3 C butter, melted

1 Egg

Filling:

2-2/3 C Flaked Coconut

1 can (14 ounces) Sweetened Condensed Milk

1 C Seedless Raspberry Preserves – I have also used Rhubarb and Cherry.  Sometimes I use a little less than 1 C.

Original Topping:

1/2 C Semisweet Chocolate Chips I have also used Almond Bark

1/4 C White Baking Chips – I have also used Almond Bark

1/3 C Slivered Almonds, toasted, optional

Directions

In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with coconut; drizzle with sweetened condensed milk.

Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Spread preserves over crust. Sprinkle with nuts.

In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over nuts.

Repeat with vanilla chips.

Cut into bars. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chocolate is set.

2nd Topping Idea:

This go around I used some drizzle I had left over from a previous recipe.

1 T Lemmon Juice

1/2 C Powdered Sugar

These bars are very very sweet.  Sugar addiction sweet and a real crowd pleaser.

Are you a jam, jelly or preserve eater?  What is your favorite flavor?

Linking Up With:

Crazy Sweet Tuesday at Crazy for Crust

Trick or Treat Tuesday at Inside BruCrew Life

Cast Party Wednesday at Lady Behind the Curtain

Sweet Treats Thursday at Something Swanky

Full Plate Thursday at Miz Helen’s Country Cottage

21 Responses to Raspberry Coconut Bars

Yum! This is going in the “to try” pile. My hubby loves coconut. Thanks for sharing!

Oh my…raspberry, coconut and chocolate, sounds decadent and yummy! Thanks for the recipe! 🙂

3. Jennifer says:

They look delicious! Raspberry jam is actually my favourite.

4. Yum, I love the idea of using lemon cake mix for these!

5. Vicki V says:

I like that the crust is made from cake mix. This looks divine! Yummy!

6. Catching up on blog reading and I LOVE what you are sharing Robyn! You give great background and detail in your recipes. This is definitely a bar recipe I am going to try. I’m a jam and preserves fan. I like jam about one inch thick on bread. 🙂 My grandma has taught me to make jam, jelly and preserves. I don’t have the patience for jelly though!

Katie this IS the recipe for YOU! I make freezer jam, usually rhubarb.
      Thank You for your kind words of support, I appreciate it.

7. Bethany says:

These look and sound delicious!!

8. These look and sound wonderful. Have pinned and saved them to try soon. This will be a great way to use up some older canned jams. I’m a new follower here and love the blog!

Welcome Sarah! Glad you enjoy my little blog and thanks for the comment. Hope you try the bars they are yummy.

9. Miz Helen says:

Good Morning Robyn,
    I really need one of your awesome bars to go with my morning coffee. This is a great recipe! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

10. Jocelyn says:

I love how simple the bars are yet they look so delicious and fancy!!!! And I love all things coconut:-) Thank you for sharing on Trick or Treat Tuesday!!!

Did you find a coconut cake mix? I’ve looked several places and haven’t found one yet. Randy isn’t big on lemon.

I have seen Coconut before, but haven’t bought one for years. Use a plain yellow cake mix. Let me know how the bars turn out for you, Kim!