This week’s Random 5 Friday comes from my container garden.
1. The tomato plants are growing like crazy. I keep seeing green tomatoes and can’t wait to eat the first pick.
2. There is a jalapeno or two getting close. The Bell Peppers are slow growing.
3. I grew up with a big family garden that was also a 4-H project. Our goal was to start the season on Good Friday by planting potatoes. Soon after we got out sticks and string and planted beans, cabbage, carrots, cucumbers, onions, pumpkins and tomatoes. When I was in High School, Mom thought it would be fun to add broccoli, brussels sprouts, Indian Corn and zucchini to the mix.
4. It never failed, after a week of County Fair and ignoring the garden we would come home to vegetables that needed immediate attention. In the heat and humidity of Nebraska’s August we blanched and froze vegetables. We also made roasters full of vegetable beef stew and froze them in family sized portions.
5. Just when we thought we couldn’t take it anymore, the neighbor would show up with bushel baskets full of sweet corn. Baskets of sweet corn! Another day or two of putting up corn and we could barely get the freezer doors shut.
How does your garden look?
Linking Up With:
with Nancy at