On Top of Spaghetti

It’s time for the March edition of the Crazy Cooking Challenge.  Spaghetti and Red Sauce are the features for this month.

Kristen at Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker is a Stay At Home Mom of five.  She comes from a long line of talented cooks and has a lot of experience in the kitchen.  Kristen has traveled the globe and enjoys music, but her most important role is Mom.  I became familiar with Kristen when she started hosting the Improv Cooking Challenge.

I found Kristen’s recipe for Spaghetti Sauce and thought it sounded good.  Here is what I did:

FOR SAUCE

Drain two 14.5 oz cans of tomatoes; put them through a food processor.

Sauté:

2 T Dried Parsley

1/2 tsp Nutmeg

1 tsp Season Salt

1 tsp Pepper

1 tsp Honey

Simmer at least 2 1/2 hours

Add 1 – 6 oz can tomato paste and simmer 1/2 hour more.

Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.

FOR MEATBALLS (My meatball inspiration and method came from HERE)

1-1/2 pound Ground Beef

3/4 C Oats, processed in a food processor

1 C Milk

3 T dehydrated Onion Flakes

1-1/2 teaspoon Salt

Ground Black Pepper, to taste

Cooking Meatballs

1 cup All-Purpose Flour

EVOO

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all meatball ingredients. Roll into medium-small balls and dredge in unseasoned flour.

Brown meatballs in oil until just brown. Place into a baking dish.

Pour red sauce over meatballs and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve with spaghetti noodles.

The Rancher is picky about sauces.  He approved this recipe for spaghetti sauce.  I liked it as well.  I love all the seasonings and thought it paired great with the meatballs and whole wheat spaghetti noodles.

I tried a variety of different homemade spaghetti sauces when we were first married, then gave up after not finding one that J liked.  Now I have a Rancher accepted sauce made from scratch!

Thank You Tina at Mom’s Crazy Cooking for hosting the Crazy Cooking Challenge!

22 Responses to On Top of Spaghetti

It’s your fault that I have that song stuck in my head this morning. Oh well!

2. LindaG says:

Thank you! 🙂

3. Tanya says:

ohhhh all these sound and look so good! i really like this meme!

4. Kristin says:

I just recently tried meatballs and so I’m looking for recipes to try!
    #29

A good spaghetti sauce recipe is worth it’s weight in gold! 🙂
    I usually just make mine up as I go along! LOL!!
    Okay, that’s a WHOLE LOT of spaghetti link ups! Yikes!

It is a lot of Spaghetti. If you can’t find the perfect red sauce here I don’t know were else one would want to look.

6. ButterYum says:

I absolutely love the title of this post – how perfect :). I don’t think I’ve ever added nutmeg to my sauce, but why not – it goes so well with cheesy things.

I hope you’ll stop by and visit my CCC – #75 Spaghetti Pie

🙂
    ButterYum

Miss ButterYum
      I did stop at your blog and like the looks of your pie!
      I thought the title was creative.
      Thanks for checking out my CCC Post.

7. Kristen says:

Thank you for the kind words. I am glad your husband approved :-).

8. Miz Helen says:

Hi Robyn,
    This is a really good sauce, I just love a good thick sauce that has just the right seasons and this one does. It is fun cooking with you in the CCC and hope you are having a great week!
    Miz Helen
    #27

9. Wow!
    That recipe sounds amazing. I love everything in the list of ingredients and I love the blog hop. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

10. Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips says:

The addition of nutmeg and honey to the sauce is so unique. And I love the use of oats instead of breadcrumbs in the meatballs, because I have a bit of a wheat intolerance.

If you have a chance, I’d love for you to check out my entry in the CCC, #74.

11. andi winslow says:

First I have to say I like the layout of how you wrote up your recipe and showed your pictures. Easy to follow. And the sauce looks to die for. and glad that hubby is happy, and you. Nice post andi

Thanks Andi! I’m glad my post flowed well, it took me a little bit to figure out how to make it “user friendly.” I appreciate your input.

12. Why is it that husbands get so picky about the food they eat, I’ve got one the same way. So glad you found a recipe he approves of, this one does sound great!

13. kyleen says:

These meatballs look so good! I’ve never tried rolling my meatballs in flour before frying them, but that sounds like such a good idea to get them all crispy on the outside.

14. Lisa~~ says:

I think that this sauce would be husband approved in my house too.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my CCC entry: Tomato Sauce with Onion & Butter.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

15. Miz Helen says:

Hi Robyn,
    This is a great choice for the CCC, it is fun cooking with you, I am # 27. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Happy St. Patrick’s Day and Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen