Old Farm Machinery and Random Thoughts

It’s Thursday; we’re past hump day and almost to the weekend!  I got an e-mail from Nancy at a Rural Journal saying Random 5 Friday will be up and running tomorrow.  So here we go …

1.  Here is another dose of pictures from our trip to Eastern South Dakota.  A piece of old farm machinery that could tell many stories.  If it were possible, I would love to hear them.

2.  Yesterday it got over 40*.  J and I spent most of the day outside.  We had lots of help and muddy paw prints across the shop floor.  This morning we woke up to 9* and we are glad to see it didn’t snow.

December 21

3. Yesterday, J and I transferred pellets from the semi trailer to the gravity wagon.  This is not my favorite task.  With the two of us it’s a very busy job.  Transferring starts out fine. Then J gets in the wagon to scoop and I am left to move the tractor ahead and monitor pellet flow.  I am getting much better at knowing which leavers to pull, or push and which way to crank the semi door.  It only takes one time of overflowing the transfer auger to realize “I need to pay more attention.”  My other challenge is letting off the clutch fast enough to not dump grain over the side of the wagon and slow enough not to dump J over the side of the wagon.  Yesterday’s transfer went perfect!

December 21

4.  J told me that a friend of mine put together a video about the Atlas Blizzard.  I didn’t pay much attention.  Tuesday night I came across a face book post and remembered that J mentioned this video.  I decided to take time and watch it.  I should have watched the message and shared it a long time ago!  This video is done by a ranch wife that lives in my area and the footage is of her ranch, livestock and family.  Please take the time to watch and share.  Mega Winter Storm Atlas-The Live of a Ranch Wife.  Great job JKJ!

December 21

5.  A few weeks ago Miss Buttons from the Buttons Thoughts blog shared this quote.  I think it is worth repeating:

Whatever you are by nature, keep to it;
never desert your own line of talent.
Be what nature intended you for and you will succeed;
be anything else and you will be ten thousand times worse than nothing.
~Sydney Smith

This lends its self to this quote:

The things you are passionate about are not random, they are your calling. ~Fabienne Fredrickson

16 Responses to Old Farm Machinery and Random Thoughts

1. cheri says:

Just love the old horse drawn machinery. You are right, the stories they could tell. The “old guy” tells some awesome stories of haying with horses. I never tire of them, even if I have heard them over and over. 🙂
    Just seeing the pictures on the news of the blizzard were mind blowing! I could not imagine being in the middle of that.

2. Sandra says:

Sounds like you have been busy!
    We have found a few pieces of old farm equipment on our property.
    Nice photos!

Oh Robyn you work so hard and that is a wonderful fulfilling thing I do know you love it and I understand that one:). Your photography continues to blow me away. I will be watching that video I am convinced more people should see it.
    That is indeed a great quote and thank you my friend. Hug B

Don’t you just love “those” jobs!? Glad it went well this time and that the pellets and J stayed where they were supposed to. Merry Christmas to you, Robyn! I have MUCH to get done this weekend.

Hello Robyn I am back I just watched JKJ’s video and it was heart wrenching but needs to be shared as others would never understand. This explains to the world just what we as cattle farmers and ranchers do and how it is not only a business to us, we truly love our cattle. Great job and thank you for the video JKJ.

6. Beth says:

love that quote. lovely shots too. hope you get some time to relax too. but know some folks really enjoy hard work. i know i can go & go … but when i do sit down i am a goner. i should probably never sit down ever …

happy weekend. ( :

Beth,
      I am the same way. Sometimes it’s easier to keep pushing myself because I know if I sit down I am done for. I will admit that after dinner a short nap can be a life saver.

7. Snap says:

Love your photography and you are correct — what stories the old machinery could tell. My grandfather raised Quarter horses in OK and my granny — Angus cattle. Heart breaking some winters. Everyone works so hard and to have Mother Nature spit in your face … so sad. (And I’m a big fan of Mother Nature.) Merry Merry and a Happy Happy to you.

8. Stephanie says:

Great photos of the old machinery – always an interesting subject. After hearing your description of the pellet transfer I promise I will not complain when I have to do laundry – it’s so much easier. I guess I wouldn’t cut it on the ranch.

9. Love the photos and the quote from Buttons — I missed it during my break apparently. So glad you shared because I need to let go and just be… whatever it is that I am, lol.

And kudos for being such a great partner to J — I know he appreciates all that you do. xo

10. Amy says:

I love that a 40 degree day this time of year makes outdoor romps so pleasant. My family in California is always stunned at how warm we always feel when we visit and how my kids think 40 degrees is perfect t-shirt and light jacket weather! 🙂 Merry Christmas!

11. kelly kardos says:

I also LOVE old farm equipment…actually I love anything old! your weather is too cold for my southern CA self…brrrrrr
    Love the quotes and I’m off to view the video.
    visiting from Random 5

12. Sharon says:

That old farm equipment sitting in the fallen leaves is so picturesque. That’s a wonderful find. I’m glad you’re enjoying warmer weather after that early snow you got. Have a wonderful holiday, Robyn!

13. Teresa says:

Beautiful pictures! We’re very cold now too. Hope you’re staying warm!

14. Anne Payne says:

Robyn, It sounds like you and your husband have been quite busy. So glad you work in harmony with one another 🙂 Your photos of the machinery are beautiful and evoke a feeling of nostalgia for days gone by. Have a blessed New Year!