I have been thinking a lot about one of this week’s Nurture Photo Challenge prompts … “Home.” I went to my well used Microsoft Office program to look up “home.”
1. Home in relation to birthplace: The place where somebody was born or raised or feels that she belongs. At heart, the first thoughts of home are Mom, Dad, Sister and growing up in Nebraska.
2. Home: A place where a person or family lives. Where they can find refuge and safety or live in security. The Rancher and I have been a family and living on the Ranch for 8 1/2 years. Our home is on the South Dakota Prairie raising cattle. We live in Grandma’s Old House; it’s warm in the winter, cool in the summer and has a cozy feel that is us. Out “in the middle of no where” we feel safe from much of the world’s drama.
This picture is from branding calves on Monday. I have more branding pictures to share next week.
3. On a ranch, home is also the headquarters or main place of operations. We work and live in the same place. Our “office” is paying bills at the kitchen table and unlimited to what we find as soon as we step outside.
4. We take care of the land and livestock. In return, with adequate moisture and good luck, the land will take care of the livestock and take care of us.
5. When all is said and done, home is where your dog is! There is comfort in being greeted with love and excitement; with having a little dog to curl up with on the couch to help unwind from the day.
A farmer traveling with his load
Picked up a horseshoe on the road,
And nailed it fast to his barn door,
That luck might down upon him pour;
That every blessing known in life
Might crown his homestead and his wife,
And never any kind of harm descend upon his growing farm.
~James Thomas Fields
Linking Up With:
with Nancy at