Nebraska’s Junk Jaunt ~ Guest Post from my Mom

My daughter Robyn asked me to report on the Central Nebraska Junk Jaunt, which took place September 28 -30th. The Junk jaunt is a 300 mile loop of continuous garage sales.   In its’ ninth year, the Jaunt attracts buyers, literally, from coast to coast.  The “outsiders” are easily spotted; they often drive Winnebagos pulling flatbed trailers. There are thousands of things to see and buy, from the most precious of antiques to the junkiest of junk. Here’s a synopsis of our jaunt; it barely scratches the surface of our adventure:

We started our day at Hazard.  Antiques that are nearly impossible to find are available for purchase on the Junk Jaunt.  These stoves were part of an estate sale for our neighbor Clyde, who passed away last year at the age of 102.

Aunt Janet is wowed at Mason City. Here’s a good place to find dishes that match the ones you accidentally broke in the past year. One can also replenish one’s jewelry box for pennies….see the necklaces hung like fish drying in the sun in the rear of the photo.

The Methodist ladies in Sargent filled their Community Buildingto overflowing with valuable kitchen junk. Janet and I bought as much as we could carry out in one trip.

One big important stop for any Junk Jaunter lies north of Sargent about a mile.  Here you will find serious antiques, most lending themselves to farm tools, machinery and horse drawn equipment.  Anyone wishing to untangle a set of harness can find their challenge here.  If you’re not in the market to buy, it is worth the trip to see.

The Garfield County Fairgrounds in Burwell is one giant Jaunt stop, hosting over 20 vendors.  Anything under the sun can be found. Aunt Janet was surveying for Fiesta Ware dishes. She was successful.

After burning thousands of calories, it is imperative to stop at The Hub in downtown Burwell. It is an impeccably clean and old fashioned soda fountain. The Hub serves every kind of ice cream, coffee and sandwich you can dream up. Here an unidentified hungry man prepares to dive into his banana split. The downside is, this place is always full of people escorting happy children for a treat. You might have to wait a few minutes to get served.

If you were after a more sensible meal, the Lutheran ladies in Hazard served a hot lunch complete with fruit pie during.  We landed there on Sunday; we were too exhausted to cook after Saturday’s adventures.

My favorite Junk Jaunt purchase was a glider rocker complete with a glider footstool.  I had to sit a minute after we loaded it in the back of my pickup.  It was perfect.

Thank You Mom and Aunt Janet for sharing your Junk Jaunt fun and pictures with us!

12 Responses to Nebraska’s Junk Jaunt ~ Guest Post from my Mom

Well, doesn’t THAT look like fun?!? I love, love, love the old stoves! 🙂

2. Judy says:

Oh my goodness, I would love to have that stove.

3. LindaG says:

We found one here. It’s a 5th annual and it’s next weekend. We’ve never been to one so we’re looking forward to it.
    Your post makes me really want to go, now.
    Thanks for the pictures and post!

4. Janis says:

This looks like a blast…what fun it would be for a girlfriends great adventure. We go to Brunswick Ga during the winter months and they have a huge yard sale called “Peaches to the Beaches”…it spreads out for many miles on land and ends up on St. Simons Island. Always a fun time.

Hi Robyn’s Mom it is nice to meet you. You are an incredible writer I hope you also have a blog.
    I truly enjoyed this junk finding journey with you. I feel this need to go hunt out auction as we have no great spots like you have to find those treasures. Love the chair great find.
    I love your photos and I do hope Robyn lets you post more incredible stories of fun and adventure. 🙂 B

Buttons,

Mom doesn’t have a blog, but she is a writer. Mom is the Sales Manager and a Columnist for CALF NEWS Magazine (http://www.calfnews.net/).

She is the inspiration behind my photography itch. We did photography projects in 4-H and Mom has always had a camera around her neck. You should see the collection of photo albums she has. Mom has 30 years worth of developed 35 mm camera pictures organized and documented in albums. She still keeps up her albums.

6. How fun is that? I want to go to a junk jaunt!

7. Kari Sanders says:

How fun.

Kari,
      South Dakota is starting one also. When we went to Meat Fest it was all the rave. The first year for a similar event was around the Chamberlain area. We will have to have Miss J keep us posted. We really missed you at WIA!

8. Nancy says:

I’ve lived in Nebraska most all of my life and am ashamed to say I have never heard of this. Unbelievable!

Great job {Robyn’s Mom}. I wish I could get my mom to post on my blog! xo