Nebraska Girl at Heart

Last Friday J and I loaded up the car, grabbed Molly and headed south.  J and his folks got all the cattle work wrapped up during the week and we were ready for a much needed break.  Mom and Dad were glad to see us.  We had a good visit and kept very busy.

It’s always fun to ride along to look at livestock and Dad loves to talk cattle.  We looked at the herd sires and checked yearlings.

Mom, on the other hand, always has something going on with her sheep!  Molly likes sheep too!  Once she gets used to being around them she has a ball following Mom around to “help.”

Mom’s dog, Riley, takes it all in stride.  I think he’s pretty glad to see the hyper Boston go home after a few days.

Saturday we met up with Grandma, Dad’s Mother, and her Sister, Aunt Pearl, to decorate at the cemetery.

Later in the afternoon we went to see Mom and Dad’s steers on feed and meet Feedyard Foodie, Anne.  Look for a future blog post.

Sunday afternoon Mom and I drove around taking pictures of barns.  I have been itching to participate in the Barn Charm blog hop and needed some pictures to get me started.  We also went to visit a friend and neighbor, Pam.  She has all kinds of fun animals to photograph.  More pictures coming soon.

Monday was another full day!  In the morning J, Mom and I went on a shopping trip.  In the evening we went to visit Uncle B and Aunt J, then stopped in to see another neighbor.

Like I mentioned, it was a busy trip!  We saw lots of family, met new friends and enjoyed our time away from home.

While we were gone it rained and it rain again on Wednesday.  The cattle dogs must have been board while we were away.  J sadly reported that my container gardens are in bad shape.  Replanting maybe in my near future.

And so we jump back into our routine at the speed of life and try to take one day at a time!

27 Responses to Nebraska Girl at Heart

1. J says:

Like your collage picture. Neat!!!

2. Janice says:

This sounds like a busy weekend I could live with!

JP, I feel like I need a day to rest from our trip! Seems like we have been busy playing catch up the last few days. No rest for those having fun!

3. Carletta says:

Love your collage!
    I especially like the lamb with its nose through the fence – so cute!

Love that collage and I’m looking forward to seeing your Barn Charm entries and lots more pictures! Sounds like ya’ll had a great visit! 🙂

Candy and Janet
      The collages are kind of fun! Mom and I found some neat barns and had a nice visit as we drove around the neighborhood.

5. Back in the routine is a good place to be!

Western Sky & Road & Fence

6. Carole M. says:

nice to have a good getaway; and lovely memories to bring back home

7. Beth - VA says:

great collage. (:

8. Janis says:

Sounds like you all had a very nice getaway!

9. Lisa Sall says:

What a nice weekend! Love all your pics! FFF is now open, I had a senior moment there with the time setting:) Sorry, for any inconvenience. (I’m anxious to the barns you found.)

10. Sounds like a great trip, Robyn. Love little Riley — he’s adorable.
    Whereabouts in Neb. is the family from? You can email me if you like.

Thanks so much for linking up to RT this week. 🙂

11. Sounds fun! So jealous you got to meet Anne – looking forward to that post!

12. Your Mom’s dog, Riley, is adorable!! And I bet he’s a big help 🙂

Nancy and Nancy
      Riley is so easy going. He loves a good belly rub and is honestly never in the way. Riley is afraid of cattle. Mom got him from the Vet who found him at an area puppy mill. Riley has a hitch in his hind leg get along and was neutered. Needless to say he was a great find.

I see you found the PicMonkey collage. Isn’t it fun? And it was fun for me to see all the images, too. Glad you had a nice trip home! Enjoy your weekend!

14. Teresa says:

Sounds like a great visit! Love the mosaic.

15. Aunt Linda says:

Your mom said that you guys had a fabulous visit! I love the photo of Riley….he is always smiling!

I am thinking of you and always wishing you the best. Next time you come to Nebraska let me know and we can all meet for lunch!

Aunt Linda

Linda
      I am planning to be at the State Fair to help Mom show Southdowns!
      It means alot that you keep me in your thoughts. I think of you often too.

16. Marie says:

What a great visit with family! And lots of fun things to do and see.

17. Lavender Cottage says:

I enjoyed hearing about your family visit and all the livestock. Your mosaic pretty much sums up your good time.

18. Lisa Sall says:

Thanks for getting FRESH with us today! Ya’ll come back next week too!!

19. faye says:

Sounds like the very best kind of family visit. Lots of common interests and people you look forward to seeing again. Riley looks like a character. I have a Riley to–Chet Riley, a puppy/crocodile.

You mentioned state fair. Before I retired worked with Farm Bureau and their agriculture education program for kids–always had a children’s booth at the state fair where we tried to teach where food comes from–and other things non-farmers need to know about agriculture.

Faye
      The Nebraska State Fair holds a special place in the hearts of my family.

We were talking about the educational part of the fair while I was at home. There is a “birthing center” full of farm animals. The center was almost always packed full of people. Dad brought up the point that there are a lot of farmers without livestock and many youth who are involved in Agriculture that have never seen an animal born. Kind of an interesting thought to ponder.