My Latest Projects

Whoever came up with the idea that a woman’s mind is like having the computer browser with 37 tabs open all at the same time, must be female.  My mind likes to think one or two steps ahead and sometimes not be present in the moment or task at hand. The Rancher frequently reminds me to pay attention to what I am doing. I frequently tell him that “if I’m not half a step ahead of you, I’m three steps behind!”

February 12

As we prepare for calving season, my mind is thinking about food I can grab out of the freezer; casseroles or meat that I reheat, muffins and sweets too. On those busy days when we are dealing with unforeseen time consuming issues I don’t always have time to cook and I know we need a hot meal.

The last two weeks I have slowly been building up my stash. I have sloppy joe meat and a casserole in the freezer. J and I are going to smoke a Boston butt and maybe a turkey to have on hand too.

Last week I made Pumpkin Muffins with Dried Cranberries and Pumpkin Nutella Muffins. Chocolate Chip Cookies, No Bake Cookies and Coffee Cake can also be found in my freezer.

The good news I feel better prepared for calving season. The bad news is I have no more food storage containers in my cupboard.

What are freezer meals or foods you like to have on hand? What are some survival tips you have for calving season?

February 12

As you can see from my pictures, I’ve been working on some mixed media art. It’s been slow going as I end up squeezing it in after working outside. I enjoy the creative process and poke away at it when time and energy allow.

I have several pieces done, but have not photographed them yet. That’s on my short list; keep an eye out for them next week.

February 12

I am currently reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. If you have any interest in biology, the medical field and/or history of american medicine this is the book for you. I can hardly put it down.

I recently finished Catherine Ryan Hyde’s Jump Start The World. It tackles a few contemporary social issues. Not my favorite Hyde book, but I enjoy the characters she creates and how they develop through the story.

If you enjoy watching Desperate Housewives or Real Housewives, then Big Little Lies, by Liane Moriarty should be on your reading list. The Husband’s Secret is the other Moriarty book that I have read. I enjoyed the later better than Big Little Lies, but that’s just my opinion.

February 12

February continues to be mild on the prairie. Late last week and weekend we had temperatures in the 50-60’s. Monday was frosty with a dense fog advisory. We had heavy fog and low visibility all day. Tuesday and Wednesday were balmy with temps in the 20-30* range and Tuesday was windy. Sounds like we are in for some cooler air, but still relatively mild for February in South Dakota.

What is the weather like where you’re at? Have you started calving or lambing?

15 Responses to My Latest Projects

1. Kerrie K says:

Here in Rhode Island we have feet of snow….no joke I swear as in two feet and climbing. It doesn’t get past 22 degrees and most mornings are below 10 and that’s not with wind chill. Tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be dangerously cold as in way below zero with 35-45 mph winds. It takes forever to get dressed/undressed and takes forever to do chores morning noon and night. I cant say its the hardest winter but if I don’t looked aged by the warmer weather I never will. I was also blessed with a tractor. Some women like dinners and jewelry I like tractors. 🙂 Anyway that has been a life saver for plowing and moving snow. I cant believe you guys are so much warmer than us right now.

Kerrie K,
      I heard on the news that some places on the North East have 51″ of snow and expecting more. I hope you get a break from the cold soon.

It was 9* when I got up this morning and warmed to the low 30’s. Sounds like Friday is going to be nice and cold again Saturday with a chance for snow.

Take Care and be safe!

• kk672@aol.com says:

Another 6-12 this weekend 🙂 i keep telling myself we will get some nice hay this year. It did go up to 30 today which i was like a mad woman doing chores in order to take advantage of the “warmer” weather. It started out at 8 degrees this morning.

Oh I am so unprepared for calving season this darn flu has taken away my prep time. You are well prepared and that is going to make a sometimes stressful time that much easier for you. I am loving your new media art projects. It is getting cold here tonight, I am looking forward to spring something I usually do not say. This has been a tough winter. Take care good luck in calving. Hug B

3. Darcy says:

I love the colors of the blocks – they look good together. Almost like quilt blocks. 🙂 We’re almost done with calving here (so thankful – we’re ready for a decent night’s sleep) but I usually crockpot stuff. Stew meat with a crockpot stewing sauce I pick up in the store is usually a favorite, and I pair it with a green salad and some couscous usually. (But I’ll be honest – last night we had mac & cheese with it which is a guilty pleasure of ours. We’re trying to eat more healthy, and creamy mac & cheese is NOT healthy, lol.) I’m curious – what kind of casseroles do you make that freeze well?

Darcy,

Since it’s just J and I most of the time, when I make casseroles I usually freeze half. Lasagna, PW’s Chicken Spaghetti, Soup and Chili. I started making an extra roast and freezing a whole cooked roast with aus jus. I either warm it in the crock pot or make drip beef sandwiches. Last week I made PW’s Chicken Pot Pie, kind of. My pie crusts are hit and miss and I didn’t have any phyllo dough, so I topped it with Stove Top Stuffing. It was delicious.

When all else fails we eat ham sandwiches or something with eggs. We usually have eggs on hand, lol.

4. Robyn – you have been busy. In my family, during calving season my Dad always had a large bag of those mini Hershey chocolates in the freezer for the midnight checks. We also had a stash of tater tots and fish sticks for the nights no one wanted to cook 🙂

Loved the story about HeLa – so informative and sad. It is amazing what one woman did for science!

Can’t wait to see some of your finished projects! Darcy is right, they look like quilt blocks at this point. 🙂
    Don’t forget you can freeze things in zipper bags too and that way they lay flat in the freezer to take up less space. My girlfriend likes to make twice baked potatoes ahead and freeze them for quick meals. Chili and soups also freeze well.

Candy,
      I’ve got chili and chicken noodle in the freezer. I had to start using zipper bags today. I think I have a good start and feel better prepared than last week. Cheesy potatoes (we grew up calling them Texas Potatoes) freeze OK too.

Between cloudy days, fog or flurries I haven’t had the right light to take photos of my finished projects. They are sitting on the kitchen table waiting for me.

6. Cheri says:

I made a huge batch of spagehetti for reheating. Lol! Tootsie rolls, jolly ranchers and string cheese in the fridge at the barn helps. Along with mt dew, Gatorade and water.
    It’s been warm here too. Today was gorgeous! Near 60, sunny blue skies. Baby calves everywhere. We are over half way now in the heifers. 4-6 babies a day. 🙂 We have a mama for one of the bottle calves. Working on getting mama to realize that’s her baby. She’s very curious about her. Hope it works. 🙂
    Love your projects. It’s been so nice, I’ve been scratching around in the yard! 🙂
    Cheri

It looks and sounds like you’ve been busy. Your preparations sound like those I make before wheat harvest. I am not as involved in calving unless there’s a problem and I provide another set of hands.

My favorite Catherine Ryan Hyde book is “Pay It Forward.” I haven’t read the one you mentioned. I’ll have to look for it at the library.

Winter temperatures are supposed to arrive here again over the weekend and next week, so we are likely to have another burst of calving activity. That’s the way things seem to work.

8. The art projects look great, Robyn!
    I’m terrible at planning or making meals ahead.. I very much admire those who do! I occasionally freeze sweets / banana bread / cookies to have ahead of time, but having teenage boys in the house means they not-so-mysteriously disappear at an alarming rate! 🙂

9. You are just busy all the time, girl. Between taking care of the ranch, cooking, photography, bloggin, reading and now your artwork, whew. Do you sleep at night? Your life is full and filled with wonders!!

10. Aunt Linda says:

For freezer casseroles try this link:

There are also recipes for “Dump” freezer meals wherein you freeze raw chicken breasts with marinades in a freezer bag.

There are tons of freezer recipes on the internet.