Me and My Camera on a 4-wheeler Ride

As April draws to an end I’m thankful for the half-inch of rain we got last Sunday. It was followed by a cloudy Monday with no wind; just right for soaking in the moisture. Tuesday and Wednesday were beautiful spring days. We are behind on moisture and pray for May rains.

April 30

The hay-bet barley and oats J seeded are up, the grass is starting to green and we have a few buds on the trees. It always amazes me how optimistic nature becomes with moisture and sunshine. Last week I did a little yard work and am starting to get the gardening bug.

April 30

After the clouds cleared Sunday afternoon I went for a 4-wheeler ride. Just me and my camera. I love riding through the cattle and seeing them spread out relaxed and enjoying life.

April 30

I’ve been watching and waiting and attempting to get a picture of a meadowlark. Tuesday morning while the girls and I were taking out salt and mineral, I finally captured a meadowlark. I enjoyed his singing too.

April 30

Today we are branding the oldest group of calves. Yesterday we spend most of the day getting ready; J and his folks setting up outside and me in the kitchen. For coffee break I made the traditional ham sandwiches and the always favorite Caramel Rolls. On the dinner menu is Beef and Mushroom Lasagna with homemade Spaghetti Sauce, lettuce salad, relishes, garlic bread and Deep and Dark Ganache Cake . I saw this recipe in Taste of Home and made it for Valentine’s Day. This recipe makes a big batch and I had a cake in the freezer. I whipped up some ganache and dessert was done. It’s 41* with no wind this morn and I’m looking forward to branding calves.

April 30

I have been working on a project and am ready to announce that Jodene Shaw from White Owl Wings is going to do a Building Blocks Mixed Media Art Class at our local library on Friday June 19th.

This class is perfect for beginners as Jodene will lead you with step-by-step instructions to create three chunky blogs of art on wood. You will learn how and when to use various art supplies in mixed media projects. Meaningful words and fun embellishments will be used to create art. All are supplies will be provided, but you may bring printed quotes and little objects. We are encouraging Mother’s and Daughters to participate in the class together. If you are interested let Jodene or I know and we will direct you to get registered.

I hope your week is going good and you have a wonderful May Day weekend.

8 Responses to Me and My Camera on a 4-wheeler Ride

1. Janet Wilson says:

Art on wood project sounds fun but I cant draw

2. Beautiful pictures — you do such a wonderful job with a camera!

3. Darcy says:

Sounds like you have been BUSY! I love the second picture in this post of the cow & calf – and that’s awesome that you got to capture the lark! I feel like every time I get focused and ready to take a picture of a bird, it up and flies away. 🙂 Have a great rest of the week and I hope branding goes really well – but you sound very prepared for it!

4. Alica says:

I love your pictures! Sounds like spring is finally in the air for you…hope you get some more much needed rain!

5. Great photos! I think I am also going to have to try to lasagna recipe, sounds delicious!

6. Cheri says:

Meadowlarks have the most beautiful song. 🙂
    We branded again today. One day it’s ride send gather, then sort pairs, then next day brand. Making sure there are no mess ups!
    We have one more big draft to do. Then in a few weeks, the little guys. I love riding and branding. 🙂
    Have fun branding. 🙂 hope your weather is cooperative.
    Cheri

Thanks for taking me along on your 4-wheeler ride. I loved the photos, especially of the meadowlark and your two cute helpers. We took 4-wheelers to the Ninnescah pasture last night to check on the heifers that we’d taken there a little more than a week ago. What a beautiful evening! You’re right: Moisture makes a huge difference in the view!

We moved the heifers yesterday and got bulls situated. Today and tomorrow, we will be sorting mamas and babies and working the babies before taking them to summer pastures. Good luck with all your cattle work, too!

8. Jennifer says:

Lovely photos! Songs and books mention meadowlarks, but I’ve never seen a photo, never thought to look it up. Thank you for sharing! Those recipes? Adding to my “make” list. Happy spring!