Little Feathers in My Hat

The weather warming up has smiles on our face. I have to admit that we spent most of yesterday afternoon inside. I caught up on some paperwork and computer stuff and checked heifers; J took a much needed nap. It seems like the heifers are calving late afternoon/early evening or they are showing sings at 2 and J has to check again at 4. Babysitting and dealing with problems, no matter what time it is, is all part of calving season.

March 6

Outside my window… the heifers are calving slow. I think once they decide to break loose we are going to have several babies in short order.

I am thinking… Everyday the weather is nice the more I like it. Yesterday morning was foggy with a chilly breeze. The afternoon turned out to be a beautiful and a sunny 29*. It was 27* when I checked heifers and fed the twins at 5 o’clock this morning.

March 6

I am thankful… for another birthday! I am inching my way into the mid 30’s. I’m also thankful for all the wonderful cards, blog and Facebook birthday wishes that have been sent my way. It’s very heartwarming and humbling.

In the kitchen… I am thinking homemade buttermilk waffles and eggs sound good for dinner tomorrow. J is  heading to town for Private Pesticide Applicator Training today and I don’t know if he will be home for dinner or not. He mentioned squeezing in a project after chores; I foresee sandwiches for dinner.

March 6

I am wearing… Clean chore clothes and have “a feather in my hat.” It’s my birthday, so I can say that.

These girls have me covered up with eggs. They are laying 5-7 eggs a day and have been for over a week.

I’d love to hear what you are thinking, what you are thankful for or what you have cooking up in the kitchen.

Linking Up at Random 5 Friday with Nancy from A Rural Journal

28 Responses to Little Feathers in My Hat

1. Laurie - Country Link says:

Happy Birthday Robyn! I hope you have a wonderful day today and every day!

2. Darcy says:

Happy birthday!

I’m thankful for my family & friends, and a new recipe I tried this week was Sesame Peanut Noodle Salad from this month’s Good Housekeeping magazine. It was super easy, made with ingredients I had in the cupboard, and keeps well for seconds. 🙂 I didn’t add chicken, we had it as a side with potstickers, but shrimp would be good in it too.

3. Cheri says:

Happy Birthday! 🙂
    We got a little concerned when our heifers started slow. We have 2 to go! Right with in their due date. Weather here has been warm, wet and windy! Been near 60 degrees! You can see a hint of green in all that brown. Love it!
    I hope you had a beautiful birthday!
    Cheri

Two heifers left to calve; yeah for you, Cheri. That darn wind, at least it’s warm for you. We had a beautiful day here, sunny, 48* and no wind. It melted a lot of snow; we are brown and white. It’s going to be a bit before we see any green.

I did have a wonderful birthday, thanks for thinking of me.

4. Linda W says:

A big happy birthday to you! You’re such a young ‘un! Cute pic of your doggie. She’s growing up fast!

5. georgy says:

Brilliant Day to YOU – Today and Always!!!!

6. Snap says:

happy happy birthday. nothing like babies — 2 legged or 4 … a busy time. love fresh eggs. always a good time for waffles or pancakes. great shots. Happy Friday!

7. Claire says:

Wear a feather and eat cake – it’s your birthday 🙂
    Really great Random 5 and have a fun weekend!

8. Vic303 says:

Stopping by again on R5F.
    How many calves do you expect this spring total?
    Happy birthday, you young thing! Let me know when you hit the big 5-0! 😉
    I am thankful for decent insurance right now. I am also thankful for my loving husband, and my kids who behave pretty well! As for my kitchen, nothing is cooking right now, and I haven’t a clue what’s for dinner…
    Have a great weekend!

9. tanya breese says:

well happy birthday to you!!! breakfast for dinner sounds perfect! love the photos 🙂

10. viv says:

Happy Birthday you really lead a busy life, take time to give yourself a treat…

11. Jessy says:

Spring is coming, slowly but surely! The first calves (twins) have dropped at my in-laws and the weather has been hovering at a balmy 50ish for a few weeks now. I hope the warm weather continues to bring you good days and that calving goes well!

Jessy

12. Jen says:

Happy Birthday to youuuuuuu Happy Birthday to youuuuuuu Happy Birthday dear Robyn Happy birthday to youuuuuu. (You share your day with my mama.) Sending wishes for a wonderful day!

13. Happy Birthday Robyn. Mid thirties, the best time in my life! Fresh eggs daily would be such a treat!

14. Karen says:

Happy birthday, Robyn! I hope you had a wonderful day! Sounds like Spring is a very busy time on the ranch with all the calving. Have a nice weekend!

15. Ida says:

Happy Birthday! March is a great month to be born in. I wish I was just inching my way into my mid-30’s instead of the late 50’s with my upcoming (58th) birthday.
    Love the shot of that dog, so cute.
    Sounds like life on the farm is looking forward to spring and a very busy time with all the calves.
    Also those Buttermilk waffles sound yummy.

16. Stephanie says:

Happy Happy Birthday – sending you wishes for a wonderful year.

17. Margie says:

Happy Birthday Robyn! You are at the best age, even if you don’t think so now. Enjoy your eggs and your warm temperature.

18. Sharon says:

Happy birthday, young lady! I hope you feel you have a feather in your hat all birthday month! Robyn, I love your dog. What a sweet photo.

19. abrianna says:

I like the picture of the border collie.

Glad you are enjoying your birthday…Happy Birthday!

Spring, glorious spring…

20. Sarah says:

Happy Birthday. You deserve a feather in your hat. Little baby cows, so precious.

21. Happy Birthday! I wish I could find some farm fresh eggs around here.

22. Nancy @ A Rural Journal says:

A very happy birthday to you Robyn — I haven’t been on FB much lately so I’m sorry I missed it.

Warmer weather is making all of us in the Midwest a bit giddy I think. Adorable shot of Rosie. Have a wonderful weekend! xo

23. Carletta says:

A belated Happy Birthday to you!
    I love breakfast for dinner. Fresh eggs would be delicious.
    In 29 degree weather you have to love what you do! 🙂

24. Sarah C says:

First, I wanted to thank you for stopping by and wishing me well. Also, I enjoyed your post. I grew up on a sheep farm with my beloved border collie so everything brought back so many memories. Have a wonderful weekend!

25. Roan says:

Happy birthday. I’m inching toward a much nastier birthday year. Hint, I get to sing a Beatles song this year. Ugh! But I’m still 16 at heart. lol Love the pup. Reminds me so much of Fergus. Fergus is great frisbee hurder. I hope you get warmer weather soon!