Lawn Decor and Cattle Work

I took these pictures in September when we went to the Country Wedding of a neighbor’s daughter. These pieces are lined up around the yard.

November 4

Last Thursday J and I got the windbreak up and our handyman neighbor stopped in to hook up the waterer. Friday morning we braved the wind and rehung the gates that were taken down for this project. The next morning we cleaned up odd supplies we had in the lot, put round hay feeders in the weaning pen and filled them with bales. We are officially ready for bawling calves. It feels good to have this improvement project done and ready to use.

November 4

Our cattle working week started on Sunday at Cousin T’s. We weaned heifers and the light steers. The big steers went back on their mamma until yesterday morning when we sorted them off to ship.

J took a load of calves to the sale barn and stayed to watch the sale. I came home to work on meal prep for weaning calves at our house today.

November 4

Later in the week we will be back at Cousin T’s to work the weaned calves and run his cows through the chute.

The plan is to preg-checking here on Monday the 10th. As of now it sounds like it’s going to be cold and windy; maybe the wind and moisture will hold off a day. We will be processing our weaned calves soon too.

November 4

Monday I picked up 5 pullet eggs! The leghorns have consistently been giving me 3 eggs. It’s fun to have a carton full of little white eggs.

A couple months ago I was contacted by a freelance writer for The Furrow (The Furrow is a publication put out by John Deer) who was working on a story about the Atlas Blizzard. She found my blog on a search and wanted me to send her some of my pictures. One of my “snow covered fence” photographs was published.

Have you weaned and/or shipped calves yet?

7 Responses to Lawn Decor and Cattle Work

1. Cheri says:

That old stove is very cool!
    We’ll keep our replacement heifers on their mamas for a few more weeks….they pretty much wean themselves…it’s the emotional attachment they have!
    Have fun with all the cattle work…..bundle up! 🙂
    Congrats on your pictures being published.
    Cheri

2. I love that old stove! Our neighbors just weaned off babies. It sure is a lot of work. Congratulations on having your picture published. That is fantastic!

Congrats on the photo publish I love your photos. I love these ones. Oh you are so busy soon we will both be snuggled in the house near the heat dreaming of speeding up in the spring again:) Take care. Hug B

I’m glad you enjoy my photography, Miss B. It’s the little feathers that make our hats colorful and unique.

With the time change we are done with outside work by 5:00 as it’s getting dark. By 5:30 it’s pitch black out. What time is it dark at your house? How do you deal with the long evenings?

4. Bonnie says:

Great job on getting your photo published. That is exciting. I don’t miss hearing the cows and calves bawl. Always having to be careful not to start a calf stamped and fixing fence from all those stressed out moms. Hope everything is smooth sailing.

Bonnie,
      I kind of enjoy the sound of bawling calves. It brings back good memories from when I was a kid. Weaning meant a new set of show calves and I always enjoyed helping with chores after school.

J and I are crossing our fingers that the new windbreak will prevent any major calf escape.

Thanks for the photo compliment.

Congrats on one of your photos being published!

We moved the calves home from another pasture on Monday. The pens are where the hired man lives, so I’m sure he’s been hearing a chorus of bawling. The vet comes today to work the calves and to preg-check one set of mamas. Then, later this week, we’ll go back and get the mamas from Monday. (We didn’t have room for everybody here until this vet visit.) I hope collecting the mamas goes as smoothly as Monday did. (I probably just jinxed that, didn’t I?!)

Hope the rest of your week goes well, Robyn!