January: A Door and Beginning

January is defined as the first month of the year and the first of seven months with 31 days. Janus is the Roman mythology God of beginnings and transitions. The Latin word for January is ianuarius and means door. January is thought of as the door to a new year.

February 1

January found me taking an on-line art class with Jodi Shaw of White Owl Wings. The class is still available and Jodi has a One Day Courageously Creative Facebook group where we have been sharing our projects. I know Jodi would love to have you join on this character building and creative journey.

Last week we did a project that focused on writing notes to our beloveds. We made cards or tags with meaningful words on them to give those who enrich our lives.

Friday was Lesson #8: and our last class. I’m still working on my final project and will share it with you next week. Colossians 3:12-13 is the Bible verse I chose to focus my project around.

The collage below is my “sticks and stones” project. It reads: Thou wilt make known to Me the path of life; In Thy presence is fullness of joy; In Thy right hand there are pleasures forever. Psalm 16:11

February 1

January’s weather was mild. We only had a few days of wind and/or extreme cold weather. Since we work outside caring for our livestock everyday, we feel blessed when we get to work in beautiful weather.

The month rounded out with a big thaw. We had several nights when it barely froze and the majority of the snow has melted. J to advantage of the thaw and cleaned around the calf bunks and one of the cattle lots. I’m guessing this mud issue won’t last long as it can still get really cold on the northern prairie.

February 1

January brought a couple of cattle working days. We bangs vaccinated heifers towards the middle of the month and ran the bred heifers through the chute for a pre-calving shot last week.

February 1

We kicked of the new year celebrating with friends and we celebrated another friends’ birthday by having his family over for ribs on the green egg. Towards the end of the month our good friends from back east came to stay with us a for a couple of days. It’s fun to catch up with those we hold close to our hearts.

February 1

I hope the 2016 chapter in your book has started out well. I hope that the first pages called “January” have been full of blessings, positive changes and adventure. May February find you continuing on a path you have chosen to take.

February 1

“Little January
Tapped at my door today.
And said, “Put on your winter wraps,
And come outdoors to play.”
Little January
Is always full of fun;
Until the set of sun.
Little January
Will stay a month with me
And we will have such jolly times –
Just come along and see.”
–  Winifred C. Marshall, January

10 Responses to January: A Door and Beginning

1. Alica says:

Even the animals are happy that the weather isn’t too extreme! I like the picture of the barn cats relaxing in the door way.

Alicia,
      Those two are my chicken coop guard cats. This afternoon when I went to lock the hens up both of them were laying in a nest. I bet that was a light fit, lol.

Like Alica, I like the cat photo. (I guess Randy is rubbing off on me after all these years!) I also like the cow and would title it, “Talking with her mouth full!” Hope your February is as productive as your January, Robyn!

3. Janet Birky says:

Love your article! Looked up your verse, great verse! Bill loved the card and note, you are so thoughtful. Your dad said mom was having fun in California! We have been going to games, one more month left. I am ready for spring and flowers. Bill made a chest for Nicole, almost done with the finish. Have a wonderful day! Love,

Aunt Janet,
      Glad Uncle got his birthday card and it made him smile.

Sounds like you might not be attending many ball games this week. Hope the snow storm isn’t too bad. I like the thought of spring flowers too. Alice always told me that the most special people had birthdays in March! Another good thing about spring, lol!

Feel free to text me a picture of Nicole’s chest. I’d love to see Uncle’s work.

Love and Hugs to both of you!

4. Darcy says:

Happy 2016 to you! It looks and sounds like it started well for the two of you! 🙂

5. Jona says:

I love the lesson on the origins of January, and the little poem too! January has such a bad rep – way to look on the bright side! 🙂

6. I loved this, Robyn! I never knew about the meaning of the name January.. the door. I love it.
    You’ve inspired me today.
    Thanks for an enriching, uplifting post!

Love the little January poem. I am so happy you are doing online art classes there is so much more to life then work. In saying that I am sorry I have not been around commenting but with work and classes I am taking it is hard to fit everything in during calving:):) I would not change a thing well. Enjoy. I love those photos. Hug B