It’s A Little Crazy Around Here

We are starting to see a beam of light from the end of the tunnel, but we have more work before we get there. After branding last Monday and Tuesday we took it easy on Wednesday. J attended a neighbor’s auction sale and I took a nap. I also got caught up on a few odd house jobs and mowed the lawn. For those of you wondering, I mowed in slicky pants over my wranglers, a hooded sweatshirt and medium jacket. I see the lawn could be mowed again. May 20 Thursday a neighbor’s Dad showed up to plant grass/alfalfa for us. This was one of our bigger spring projects this year. It took several days and we are glad to have the seed in the ground. Before planting one field J and I had to pick rock. We walked one end of the field and picked up rocks that could cause injury to farm machinery. Rosie is not a rock picker; she gave up after getting a few stickers in her paws. May 20 Friday afternoon J and I sorted off a few pairs to add to the 3rd pasture group. Lucky for us, the cattle were in the opposite corner of the pasture than the gate we needed to go through. It took us all afternoon. Early Saturday morning we moved summer pasture group #2 to the West Pasture in preparation for trailing them to grass. We like to get pairs to the West Pasture and give them a day or two to pair back up and rest before the long walk. May 20 Monday morning we moved group #2 to summer grass. J’s folks stayed at the pasture to make sure every calf found it’s mamma while J went home to do chores. J also went to town for fertilizer. Early yesterday afternoon we moved pair group #1 to the West Pasture; we plan to trail them out on Wednesday morn. Monday afternoon J started planting corn! We have two small fields and he got one field seeded. This afternoon he will seed the second field. May 20 This morning we are working the last bunch of calves. It’s a small bunch and less stressful than last week’s branding. We are grilling out for the noon meal. In the afternoon J’s folks are heading over to help Cousin T trail pairs to summer grass. May 20 We have less than 10 cows left to calf. Those tail enders like to take their dear sweet time! It’s a busy time of year and we are glad to have some sunshine and warm days.

How is your May going so far?

Linking Up a Rurality #62 With Madge at The View From Right Here

10 Responses to It’s A Little Crazy Around Here

It doesn’t seem right that the lawn is growing and you have to mow in “winter” clothes. I loved the first photo. What cute little guys! It sounds like the rest of the week will be busy for you, so I hope all goes smoothly for man and beast alike (and woman, too, of course)!

2. Darcy says:

Sounds like you are keeping busy! I hope the rest of this week’s plans go smoothly for you. It’s always so much easier when the cattle “work” and find the gate the first time. We’re slowing down with AI work here – just three more projects/ranches to go. Then it’s just moving cattle between pastures (we intensively graze) before we start preconditioning in July.

Darcy,
      You can see a beam of light at the end of the tunnel too! This morning J said “Guess what we are doing on Thursday morning.” I wasn’t sure what he was getting at and laughed when we said “sleeping in!”

The last group of cattle will be moved out later this week. They go south across one pasture and they are at summer grass. The last cows to calf will be hauled out to run with the cattle we turned out yesterday. We had 2 babies today.

We don’t intensively graze as it takes so much land to run a cow and cross fencing would be cost prohibitive. We do rotate between pastures. I grew up with intensive grazing and always enjoyed rotating the cows.

Preconditioning in July. I hate to say it, but we are over half way through May another blink and it’s going to be July. The earliest we have preconditioned is late August. It worked good as we pulled bulls at the same time.

3. Sandra says:

Sounds busy!!
    I hope you have some time to enjoy the nicer weather 🙂

4. Cheri says:

Busy busy. That’s so. Nice to have help seeding.
    Rock picking – ugh! That’s all I have to say about that! 🙂
    Our last years feeder heifers that went to Nebraska, ended up going to South Dakota as replacements for the storm victims. I don’t know where.
    Enjoy your BBQ lunch! Sounds yummy!
    Cheri

Cheri,
      We hired a neighbor to seed as he had the correct type of planter. We have been planting more farming back to grass and alfalfa as we don’t have the best farm ground and we can always use the hay.

This was my first rock picking experience. It was better than cutting cedar trees or thickets in Nebraska’s August heat. Do you have to pick rock in Oregon? I had never heard of such a thing until I went to college.

Thanks for sharing that your heifers ended in South Dakota; that’s neat!

5. Loretta Beavis says:

I wish I had fields of alfalfa and grasses…I have one alfalfa plant. It is blooming now. It is next to my cottonwood tree and has some yellow (sweet) clover near it.
    I love the pictures.

Work that no one understands… what it means to live…
    what is wonderful about a nap…

6. Linda R says:

So glad that you are getting some warmer weather. Sounds like you guys have lots to do. But at least you can see the Light at the end of that tunnel.. LOVE your photos..

Hugs~

7. Picking rocks along with all of your other tasks seems like a lotta work. Glad you had help with planting. As I’ve said before, just reading all that you do tires me out. Hope you have a little “enjoy” time along with all that work.

8. Roan says:

Love the Rosie shot! It sounds like your May is very busy. Hopefully you will have some down time soon. My favorite, mom and calf in the last photo.