I Saw a Sign

In addition to vintage tractors, I like signs. All kinds of signs, old and new, as seen on machinery or sharing my favorite quote. These are a few signs I saw over the summer.

September 18

There are a lot of tasks to do to get ready to wean calves; we continue to peck away at the to-do list.

Monday, J and the neighbor continued work on the new waterer project. By days end we were ready to pour concrete. I did odd jobs outside. Jobs like vacuum and clean tractor cabs, sweep out the garage and put garden hoses away for the winter. I also went around the yard and picked up downed tree branches and I pulled up my tomato plants.

September 18

Tuesday morning J and I headed south to move pairs and after dinner we got ready for feedstuff getting delivered this week.

Roy (Cousin T’s son) and another neighbor came over to help pour concrete for the waterer on Wednesday morning. Roy stayed and helped move one bunch of cattle home from summer grass. He also got in on helping J pull porcupine quills out of nine bred heifers. I had a commitment in town and missed out on that task.

September 18

One issue I tend to have is what to do with my old hens. The pullets are just starting to lay; I’ve picked up a little white egg everyday this week. Other than that, I’m getting 1-3 eggs per day out of the old girls. Just by luck a gal north of us was looking for chickens to can. I contacted her and said I would give her my 16 old hens. In our correspondence she said she had extra pullets. We made a deal and she is bringing me 10 new hens later this morning. Both parties thought it an excellent trade!

If you have chickens, have your pullets started laying? What do you do with your old hens?

September 18

My goals for today are to spiff up the house and get ready to move the rest of our pairs home from summer pasture. Cousin T and Roy are lined up to help us bright and early Friday morning. I’m thinking crock-pot chicken fajitas and some kind of fall dessert for dinner. The guys always like ham sandwiches on days we start cattle work early. That and a thermos of hot coffee.

What are some of your favorite crock-pot meals on cattle working days? What is your go-to fall dessert? Please share recipes!

7 Responses to I Saw a Sign

I’m singing, “Signs, sign, everywhere a sign,” in my head now, Robyn! (You’re probably too young to remember that song.)

I have a roast, potatoes and carrots in the Crock Pot today. It’s not very original, but I am subbing for the accompanist at school this week, and I’m gone during lunch. This gives Randy something hot that’s ready to go. I also like having the broth to make soup later and extra meat to make BBQ beef sandwiches. I like “planned-overs!”

I’ve pretty much never met a dessert I didn’t like. 🙂 But I’ll be watching to see if other people post something. I need a dessert recipe for a women’s meeting early next month. Since I have a sister who doesn’t like pumpkin, I try to avoid it for things like this, since pumpkin reigns supreme this time of year.

2. kerrie k says:

I have no experience with quill pulling so how does one go about pulling them out of heifers? Do the girls bawl and jump around, do they fester and get infected, are they as hard to pull out as I would imagine, do you have to treat the area after pulling them?

Kerrie,
      A lot of times the quills are in the head, nose or front legs of cattle. Being curious animals they sniff at a porcupine and get hit. We catch the cattle in the head gate and carefully go to pulling quills with pliers. It’s important to get the entire quill out and not break it off. Sometimes they will toss their head and squirm. The quills can fester and get infected if not found and taken care of in a timely manner. After pulling the quills we rub hydrogen peroxide (HP) on the cattle; it helps clean the punctures. Due to increased risk for infection we gave the heifers a dose of penicillin. We also keep a closer eye on them for a while to make sure there are no further complications.

Great questions!

3. Darcy says:

Ooy – porcupine quills! What a tough job to have….we’ve never had cattle get into porcupines, but we have had dogs do it.

My favorite crockpot cattle recipe is PW’s Italian Roast….I use any type of beef I have, usually cubed stew meat. Just throw your roast or stew meat in a crockpot, add a jar of pepperonicinis with their juice, a tablespoon of Italian seasoning and a can of beer (whatever you have – I usually use Coors Light). Cook on low for 6-8 hours, and then shred the meat and serve it with rolls and sliced cheese. Easy, peasy. 🙂

Darcy,
      I like that recipe too! I usually make a roast and use the left overs for Beef Drip Sandwiches. Sometimes I will make 2-3 roasts (we have ours made in to 3 ponders) and freeze shredded beef with au jus. Makes for a quick and hot meal on busy days.

Oh you have a big list and I am tired thinking of lists already. I DO LOVE your signs. Have fun and come on over when your done my house could use some “Spiffing.” 🙂 Hug B

5. Cheri says:

We had quills in one of the horses. That was quite a chore since they don’t go in the cattle chute! I think the cats are the only ones that haven’t gotten quills!
    I Love signs also….