I Believe In The Future of Agriculture

In honor of National FFA Week I am sharing the The FFA Creed.  I was a FFA member my Junior and Senior years of High School.  (Our family moved half way through my High School years and my first High School didn’t offer an Agriculture curriculum.)  I was Chapter Secretary my Senior year and attended National Convention in Kansas City, Mo.  I enjoyed FFA and learned a lot from the variety of competitions and conferences I participated in.

FFA Chapter Banquet, 1999.

FFA Chapter Banquet, 1999.

I believe in the future of agriculture, with a faith born not of words but of deeds – achievements won by the present and past generations of agriculturists; in the promise of better days through better ways, even as the better things we now enjoy have come to us from the struggles of former years.

I believe that to live and work on a good farm, or to be engaged in other agricultural pursuits, is pleasant as well as challenging; for I know the joys and discomforts of agricultural life and hold an inborn fondness for those associations which, even in hours of discouragement, I cannot deny. Feb 19

I believe in leadership from ourselves and respect from others. I believe in my own ability to work efficiently and think clearly, with such knowledge and skill as I can secure, and in the ability of progressive agriculturists to serve our own and the public interest in producing and marketing the product of our toil.

I believe in less dependence on begging and more power in bargaining; in the life abundant and enough honest wealth to help make it so–for others as well as myself; in less need for charity and more of it when needed; in being happy myself and playing square with those whose happiness depends upon me. Feb 19

I believe that American agriculture can and will hold true to the best traditions of our national life and that I can exert an influence in my home and community which will stand solid for my part in that inspiring task.

The FFA Creed was written by E. M. Tiffany, and adopted at the 3rd National Convention of the FFA. It was revised at the 38th Convention and the 63rd Convention.

I found this image on Face Book.

I found this image on Face Book.

Linking Up With:

Wordy Wednesday at Project Alicia and Live and Love Out Loud

Rurality Blog Hop #3 at The View From Right Here

15 Responses to I Believe In The Future of Agriculture

1. J. Rhoades says:

Oh man, those words really bring back some memories!

2. Susan says:

I think we should ALL live by those words. Thoughtful and true.

I agree with Susan! Think how much better off our country would be right now if EVERYONE took those words to heart!

4. Jori says:

The sheep looks like it’s smiling!

Jori,
      I am unable to leave a comment on your blog. I must say that I also enjoy taking pictures of abandoned farmsteads. I would love to hear the story of year’s gone bye.

Southdown’s do look like they are smiling! Just for that reason Mom named one of last year’s keeper rams “Smiley”.

5. Tracey says:

Love it! While I was not raised a typical country girl…I was raised in the suburbs, I live on a small farm now. My kids go to the only school that offers an agricultural magnet program in the county and we are proud of it! The rest of the county looks down on us and calls us “duck farmers” (although I am not sure why because not a one of us has a duck farm) but we all love and support our way of life out here!

6. Jill says:

Luv the photos! I totally agree w/you, growing up in rural Iowa, FFA is huge!

Happy WW 🙂

~ Jill

7. HansHB says:

Perfect post for the theme.
    Well done!

8. Wonderful words to live by…more lessons I have learned from reading your posts.

Wow good post Robyn. Love the photos. Hug B

Miss B,
      I can’t walk past a pretty baldy and not take its picture! I don’t see sheep everyday and enjoy a different subject matter.

10. Karen says:

This is really interesting. I’ve always been a suburban gal, and never involved in agriculture, but all 4 of my grandparents grew up on farms in Iowa. My grandfather taught high school agriculture and was actively involved with FFA for many years. Your post brought back memories of him and helped me to better understand his passion. Thanks!

Karen,
      I’m glad you enjoyed this post. It’s heartwarming that I could help you understand your Grandfather better. Being an Ag Teacher your Grandfather had a huge influence on many kids that now produce food, fiber, fuel and more. His passion for agriculture is in action everyday!

11. We had FFA in my highschool too… but in the intervening years, the Seattle area has lost almost all of its rural roots… Thank you for joining in ‘Rurality Blog Hop #3’ Hope to see you next Wednesday for #4…