I Am Not A Seamstress

The cows are due to start calving April 5th.  Thanks to short gestation Angus bulls we are already busy calving.  The Rancher is pecking away at getting equipment ready to farm and doing odd jobs in the shop.

April 2

We didn’t get many calves yesterday, so I decided to wash my chore clothes and do a little mending on my snow pants.  This is what I posted as my Facebook status:

In an attempt to say on top of things I washed my chore clothes. Kudos to me for checking the pockets of my snow pants, jacket and heavy coat. It is when I emptied the washer to dry my clothes that I remembered the notepad I carry on the INSIDE pocket of my coat. Big Mess. But, I got all the barbed wire snags fixed on my snow pants. I will not be entering the County Fair to exhibit my sewing skills. Here’s hoping my snow pants last through calving season and trailing pairs to grass.

April 2

For Christmas J’s folks got us each a set of hand warmers for our 4-Wheelers; J put them on yesterday.  I decided since I had the sewing machine out I would be nice and mend J’s swishy pants.  The more I looked the more I saw they needed stitching.  I stitched up the major snags and a few small ones.  Half and hour later I quit looking.  Apparently when baby calves go through barbed wire fences instead of following their mother’s through the gate, our chore clothes suffer the consequence.

April 2

I would much rather spend my time trailing pairs out to pasture instead of stitching up chore clothes, but some days we have to do the not so fun stuff too.  So goes the life of a Ranch Wife.  Today will be an all new adventure!

10 Responses to I Am Not A Seamstress

I am not a seamstress either. Or an ironer of clothes. I can always find something I’d rather do – like take cute calf photos like the ones you have here! Hope calving goes well, Robyn!

I am not much for ironing either. I do press our good pants and iron for special occasions.

Calving is going good and the calves we have on the ground are doing well.

2. Barb says:

You have such a different lifestyle from me, so interesting! I like sewing fun projects, but I hate mending (yuck) 🙂

3. Jill says:

What’s an iron? J/K 🙂 However, I avoid ironing at all costs. My grandparents had angus cattle when I was a kid 🙂 Your photos bring back great memories!

~ Jill

4. Sandra says:

Good Luck with your calving 🙂

5. Nancy says:

If all we did was the ‘fun stuff’, it wouldn’t work very well around here! Lol.

Lovin’ on your calfie pics.

6. Carol says:

Wonderful post and beautiful photography ~ I rather be outdoors than doing ‘house chores’ too ~ Enjoy ^_^

7. Carletta says:

I am not a seamstress and I don’t want to be. 🙂
    I never liked sewing. I guess on a ranch though you have to be mindful of repairing what’s needed to get the job done. It’s economical to be able to repair tears but I’m so bad at it.
    Lovely captures of the sweet cows!

I love the look on that last calf’s face…”Who ME? I would NEVER go through the fence!” 😉

9. Bruce Clark says:

Wonderful shots…I love the details of the cattle.