Here’s to you, my Sister and my Friend

Last weekend Sister celebrated her birthday. She got to spend it at home. I’m sure it was a treat for her and for Grandpa and Grandma to babysit Miles while Sister delivered sheep.

April 25

I came across this thought on sisters by Aliza Latta in her blog post Seasons Change (and We Do Too) on the (in)Courage Blog.

“My best friend in the whole wide world ended up being the person who was with me all along: my sister. She’s seen me in the good, the bad, and the very very very ugly. I firmly believe sisters are built-in companions who are literally not allowed to desert you. It’s fantastic. You’re stuck with them for life! I’m thankful for this sticking.”

April 27

Sisters are the people in the world who know you the best. Who else do you trust to tell your secrets to? Sisters can’t tell them to anyone because we know too much about her. Who else shared the same experiences growing up?  No matter what you experience in life sisters know you at your best and your worst, they accept, support and love you no matter what.

April 27

As youngsters the differences between Sister and I seemed impossible. By the time we were in High School we began to appreciate our unique personalities and sometimes take advantage of them.  Today we hash out the good, the bad and the ugly issues in life and tell each other of our latest life experiences. Sister, the one person who understands us better than we sometimes understand ourselves.

April 27

Sister is probably the most competitive relationship within the family, but once the sisters are grown, it becomes the strongest relationship. ~Margaret Mead

April 27

While at Church Saturday evening Father started his homily by saying that the fourth Sunday of Easter is known as Good Shepherd Sunday. I found that very fitting for the girl who loves sheep and tends her flock with her heart.

Daughter, sister, friend, wife and mother all hats that Sister wears beautifully. I Love You and am blessed to have you as my Sister and friend.

10 Responses to Here’s to you, my Sister and my Friend

1. Janet Wilson says:

Such beautiful words for your sisters birthday. Sisters are special! Have a great day Robin.

I loved the “vintage” photos of you and your sister, as well as the thoughts on the complicated relationship between sisters. (I have two of them myself!)

I was also struck that we had the same Good Shepherd lesson in our United Methodist Church this week (Luke 10: 11-18).

Have a great week, Robyn!

The picture of Sister and I at the feedlot is one of Dad’s favorites. It’s fun to look at pictures of Sister and I as little ones.

A reading about the Good Shepherd is always shared on the 4th Sunday of Easter and is from First John. Thanks for sharing that you had a Good Shepherd reading too!

3. lisa says:

I am sisterless…man…in my life right now..I crave for that relationship. Kudos to you and your sister for staying close and keeping your relationship close. God Bless

Thanks Lisa. It’s hard to live so far apart from each other and from home. Between that and our busy lifestyles I’m glad that we can pick up a conversion without missing a beat. Texting is an awesome invention too.

4. Cheri says:

Happy birthday to your sister!
    I have 3 sisters. We are all totally different. With our likes, hobbies etc.
    like you say, as we’ve grown older, we’ve become a lot closer.
    Cheri

Cheri,
      I can understand the “totally different” feeling; I’ll bet you and your sisters are more alike than you realize. Glad that you have grown closer with age and wisdom. Sister and I are nice complements due to our different strengths.

5. Alica says:

How nice that you and your sister are such good friends! I have three older sisters…we were pretty spread out in age, so as the youngest, I didn’t even get to spend much time at home with the oldest ones before they left for college. But now we are all good friends! 🙂 Happy birthday sister!

What a lovely post! 🙂
    I have no sisters, only two brothers BUT I do have a best friend who I consider my sister!

7. dad says:

you girls and mom a gift on loan from god