Hanging on the Bright Side

In this fast paced world of technology we are  fortunate enough to have fiber optic internet to the home.  However, we do not have cell phone coverage on the ranch.  There are a few close by areas where we can stand on one leg, lift the opposite arm and get one bar.  Otherwise we don’t have good coverage until we get to the highway, 15 miles away.  J and I have not invested in a smart phone and I don’t have a mobile phone photo for today’s Scavenger Hunt.

Last week I saw on of Miss B’s sunflowers had bloomed.  This guy is not hanging on by a thread, but thriving in the garden.

The other day when J and I checked cattle we found the yearlings at one of the wild  buffalo berry shrubs.  J asked me if I wanted to pick any.  After seeing the nasty looking shrub thorns, I declined.  If I remember right, these little berries are not sweet.  But, they are pretty to look at.  Here is a collage of the pictures I snapped, while J was looking over the cattle.

Last week we had another stunning evening to capture beautiful sky pictures.  I always look on the bright side when I see the beauty of nature around me.  This picture is basically straight out of the camera.

Home is so many things.  Home is where you grew up; a place where your parents are.  Robert Frost says “Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.”

Home is where you live and make a family of your own.  Helen Rowland thinks “Home is any four walls that enclose the right person.”  Billy Sunday makes the point that “Home is the place we love best and grumble the most.”

Maybe  Tad Williams is right, “Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself inside your own head. You’ll find what you need to furnish it – memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey.”

I agree with the person who says “Home is where your dog is.”  As you can see we have one very well-trained dog (Roxie), one in training (Fritz) and one that takes after her Mother.  I am excited I could get all 3 of them in the same picture frame!

We all need a basic sense of home.  People that help us see the good when we are trying to hang on to this roller coaster ride we call of life.

Linking Up With:

Scavenger Hunt Sunday at Ramblings and Photos

Your Sunday Best #30 at A Rural Journal

Weekly Top Shot #43 at The View From Right Here

The Country Homemaker Hop at My Simple Country Living

Thankful Thursday at The Wife of a Dairyman

23 Responses to Hanging on the Bright Side

1. ahh so many nice quotes about home…looks like your corn is ready, so tall. I have yet to bite into a good ear of corn this year, very disappointing. I guess it is the heat and lack of rain. You are not missing anything not having a cell-phone. I do believe the young people have forgotten how to communicate other than by texting on their cell phones. Have a good week!!

2. DebC says:

You have a great philosophy of life.
    Love all the quotes, especially Tad Williams.
    Your sunset (sunrise?) photo…that’s spectacular!

3. emily says:

The quote I always remember is: Home is where your rump rests…from The Lion King! I love your bright side photo! I don’t have a smart phone either!

4. I love your pictures, Robyn! They are truly wonderful. I also like the Nebraska hat being modeled…

I hope that you all are well. All the best from Cozad,
    Anne

Thanks Anne! J got a little flak from his Sister about the hat, but my folks loved it!

We keep watching the clouds for a much needed rain, and are doing good.

5. Kimberly says:

Great set! I love the processing you did on the sunflower photo! And your sky photo is just gorgeous!

6. Shelly says:

Gorgeous photos, family, pets, and writing. Thank you for sharing.

7. LindaG says:

We’ll be happy if we can get DSL. :o)
    We’ve decided for now, based on cost and the number of channels we don’t watch that are included, that we are not going to get cable TV; but go with over the air.

Our cell phone coverage is sometimes good, sometimes spotty. We use our smartphones tethered to our laptops for internet until we get DSL. (We have a grandfathered Alltel contract that was given to Verizon).

We’ve heard that some people have better reception with AT&T, but that is still open to debate; though his AT&T phone was able to make a call with 0-1 bar of signal. (We got one under a 30 day ‘you can bring it back if you don’t like it’ trial.)

Our current contract is up the 9th of September. Then we’ll have to decide if we stay with Verizon or go with AT&T.

We still need to pick a dog or two for the farm. They need to like cats though..

Hope you all have a blessed week. ♥

8. Dolly Sarrio says:

I really enjoyed this post. I am sorry you can’t get good cell phone coverage where you are. We have trouble here too but not that bad. I love the picture of the evening sky! Gorgeous. All of your pictures are great.

9. Robyn, that sky shot is fantastic. Thanks so much for sharing at Your Sunday Best this week. xo

10. heather says:

Wonderful shots! The berries are so bright and pretty and that sky is breathtaking!!
    Love the shots of your dogs and the chickens!

11. Jeannelle says:

The cloud photo is fantastic!

Hey Jeannelle! I visit your blog often and enjoy your work. I can’t leave a comment as I don’t have a google account and openid never works for me.

Thanks for stopping in.

12. Verna Lantz says:

These are wonderful. I love the “home” quotes. And that bright side shot is fabulous!

Beautiful picture of the light through the clouds!
    I had to laugh at your description of what you have to go through to make a cell phone call! 🙂

14. Wow. Great pictures. I am new to your blog and just gave you a “like” on facebook. I look forward to reading more.

15. Karen says:

Wow…that sky photo is amazing. I love all of your quotes. They are all true! Have a great week.

16. Love this series of shots Robyn… the sky shot is awesome and I liked you’re thought ‘Home is where the dog is..’ I agree with that! Thank you for sharing on Weekly Top Shot #43!