Flowers From My Yard

Since I shared wild flowers from the prairie earlier this week I thought I better share some pictures of my yard flowers.

These are the wild flowers growing on the west side of our house.
West Side Flowers

When I got my garden plants I saw these beauties. I have them in the back yard and look at them through the bay window.

yard flowers

Haying was going good. It’s been hot and dry enough to make good hay, even though it’s more humid than normal. On Tuesday evening we had all the dry hay in a bale and a severe weather headed our way.

yard flowers

Around 8:30 Tuesday evening we got .92″ of rain in a short amount of time; it was a downpour. We were very lucky as there was no hail or damage to our place.

Unfortunately, a tornado did go through the ranch south of us. The house is standing and the outbuildings are gone or damaged. There was also tornado or straight wind damage to a ranch northwest of us.

yard flowers

We had cattle break through the fence during the storm. While getting them back and fixing fence J and I found the track of the tornado. We could see that the tornado came out of the west neighbors pasture, through the fence (which we repaired), then through the pasture our cattle are in as it moved to the neighbor’s homestead. It was interesting to follow the track.

Have you had any severe weather in your area?

7 Responses to Flowers From My Yard

1. Kari says:

Beautiful Flowers! I am also enjoying mine this year!

2. Alica says:

Wow…that’s too close for comfort! Do you have tornadoes often in your area? We’ve had a lot of rain here…almost 3″ this past week. I guess it’s making up for the dry spring. Typically the only severe weather we see comes in the form of thunderstorms and then occasional hurricanes in the early fall. One I remember the most is just a few years ago, when we had 15″ of rain in 24 hours! That’s not common here, though.

Alicia,
      J says as a kid he remembers needing to go to the basement for sever weather once a summer. It seems like there have been more tornado sightings in the last few years than what he recalls growing up.

The big thing around here is hail storms. We’ve been wiped out once in our 11 years on the ranch. J recalls many damaging hail storms while growing up.

Glad you are getting some rain and between hay cuttings for you. Hope the water isn’t causing problems with flooding.

Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July!

Beautiful. Have a wonderful Independence Day my friend. Hug B

On that is so scary Robyn I have never been close to a tornado. I am sorry people have to experience that. Take care. Hug B

5. Darcy says:

Wow – tornados are no fun, but glad everyone is safe. Have a great 4th of July!