Fall Cattle and Field Work

Last Thursday and Friday we preconditioned calves.  All of our calves and Cousin T’s got run through the chute.  We had a crew consisting of J, Cousin T, Cousin T’s Son, and I. Friday Cousin T’s wife joined us.  It was a long two days and we got a lot of work done.  It’s amazing what a good cattle working crew can accomplish.

September 17

The new catch pen J and Cousin T build works great!  It was fun to watch these two start with a plan, build, tweak, weld, and succeed!  It worked so good we wish we could have run all the cattle through this facility.

September 17

We are in the process of planting beardless winter wheat.  The weather has cooled off and keeps teasing us with rain.  Saturday it was misty with a sprinkle every now and again.  Not enough to slow down the farming, but enough to make us wonder if rain was a real possibility.  Monday morning we woke up to fog.

When the wheat crop is in, chopping corn silage is next on the list.

September 17

In the nine years I have lived on this ranch I don’t remember needing to mow the yard in September.  Usually, August mowing consists of moving dirt and nipping headed out buffalo grass.  I mowed on Sunday afternoon and the grass was green and grown out enough to remind me of June!

What a blessing rain is.  It’s nice to know we are heading into fall with a little moisture reserves in the ground.

What projects are you working on?

22 Responses to Fall Cattle and Field Work

1. It sure is busy over your way!! Love the pictures

2. Viv says:

You can have some of our rain in the UK it’ts pouring here !! Thanks for visiting me today…

3. I love that last picture of the cow in the foreground and the beautiful scenery in the background. It’s been a rainy summer here in Western Pa..every grass mowing session was like mowing spring grass! 🙂

4. Jessy says:

Preconditioning… it’s definitely fall! Glad you guys got everything done and it went well. We are working on (see: procrastinating) packing for next week’s big move… yeesh.

5. Pat says:

I feel like you are speaking a foreign language – I cannot even imagine doing what you do with the animals and all. You must have an amazing amount of energy!

I don’t know about having an amazing amount of energy, but sometimes I wonder where all the energy does come from. I think adrenaline to do a job and do it well carries us through. After 2 days of getting up at 4:30 am, working cattle and quitting after dark, I was in slow gear last Saturday. Saturday I got caught up in the house and saw 1st gear for a little while.

6. Teresa says:

I’m so glad you’ve gotten much needed rain. It’s hard to believe, but we’re back in severe drought.

7. We got a nice little dose of rain this morning, but it’s supposed to warm up in the 80s tomorrow.

I have lots of tomatoes to can in the next couple of days.

Love the photos Robyn! xo

8. Pat says:

I’m glad you got the needed moisture. Your black cattle are beautiful animals.

9. I’m not familiar with the term “preconditioning” when it refers to cattle. In this part of the country, many ranchers have whole teams of people on horseback who rope the calves. My family used chutes as you do. 🙂

Evelyn,
      Preconditions basically means giving fall shots to the calves. The calves are given shots to precondition them for weaning. These shots help build immunity so the calves don’t get sick at weaning time.

One of the biggest reasons we use chutes is lack of help. It takes a large group of people to rope and drag. We simply don’t have the help.

Cousin T built a calf alleyway for preconditioning. We load it with 7 or 8 calves give shots and out they go. It has a top on it so the calves can not jump up or over the sides. The alley makes our job easier and more efficient.

I’m with Debra. I like the last photo, too! Sounds like you have accomplished a lot in the last few days.

Busy busy busy I know you love to see it all done before the winter sets in. Me too:) love the photos xoxo B

12. Roxi says:

Preconditioning calves…. I don’t remember that term growing up. LOL It’s nice to see the green. It’s greener here too. Makes for lots of wild sunflowers and other weeds (achoooo)

13. Karen says:

It must feel great to have gotten so much accomplished! I love the last photo – so nicely captured!

14. cheri says:

Isn’t it great to be going into fall with green grass? The grass is green over this a way too! Love it! Big ole soggy calves! I’m chopping at the bit (so to speak) to start our preconditioning. Love this time of year.

Cheri,
      It is great (and rare) to see green grass this time of year. I like fall cattle work too. Preconditioning goes so much faster than branding. I am looking forward to trailing cattle home and weaning.

Good luck with your fall cattle work and am glad to hear your prairie is green too.

15. abrianna says:

Pretty cowa. We had to mow through Oct. where we lived and where I am now we have to mow through November.

16. Nell says:

Love the cow picture!

17. wonderful shots ! ~ love the last one especially ~ carol, xo

18. Nice that the project turned out as planned. Thanks for sharing your process…My Rurality: http://lauriekazmierczak.com/648/

19. the rain has been wonderful this year hasn’t it! I think the farmers in the midwest/(and any other location that has had great weather) will have wonderful harvests!