Faith, Friends and Fun

We are now in the second day of the last week of January. Didn’t we just watch the New Year’s ball drop?

Last week I continued with my One Day On-line Art Class. One of the art projects was to decorate our journal cover and journal our “One Day Statements.”

Lesson 5 had Jodi sharing her thoughts about life’s journey. One day she realized that failing is an important step in the journey and falling down draws out our strength. Having faith and knowing God is with us in guidance and help is an important tool to continuing on our path.

“One day she discovered the beauty and wonder that already surrounded her,” was the statement Jodi focused on for Lesson 6. Toting a camera makes me more aware of my surroundings. I’m constantly looking for the artistic in everyday things. My camera helps me stop and appreciate the simple treasures God dots the prairie with.

January 25

Thursday evening our good friends came to visit! Mike, KJ and their four kiddos were here until early Saturday afternoon. J and I enjoyed the extra help with chores and catching up conversations. We also played outside, put and puzzle together and the guys went coyote calling. The weather was perfect for visitors. There was no wind and highs in the upper 20’s on Friday. Saturday we saw temperatures in the mid 30’s!

January 25

Landon has a way with dogs. Once Molly calmed down from the excitement of “other people” Landon is who she gravitated to.

Laina is not shy to tell you “I’m a farm girl!” She is equally happy riding along to do chores, working on a puzzle or telling a story.

Gentry enjoys the chickens and is always ready to check for eggs. This little character keeps me laughing. J seems to be finding buckets and tools in places where they don’t belong.

Baby Karys is loved by all and doted upon by her older siblings.

We are so blessed to have this special family in our lives!

January 25

Sunday we did chores, went to church and we enjoyed a day of rest. I took an afternoon nap and worked on my “sticks and stones” collage for art class. It’s still a works in progress as this time.

Between the gorgeous weather and extra hand, J decided to transfer corn on Saturday morning. I think the old grain truck has character and the bright blue sky made for a perfect photo opportunity.

January 25

What are some of the simple treasures or beauty and wonder that already surrounds you?

13 Responses to Faith, Friends and Fun

1. Alica says:

Good friends are priceless! Sounds like a great day! I’m finding beauty in the snow today, that just two days ago caused so much angst!

2. Looks like a great time with your visitors, and I agree about the grain truck – I really like that shot!
    This week I’m treasuring a lighter work load. The two boys I’m teaching at home this year have finished up their first semester early, so we are just reviewing, reading for pleasure, taking a breather before the 2nd semester starts next week. I’m feeling satisfaction in having completed a half year of this new challenge, which has brought so many simple pleasures.
    Beau and I have had a little extra time for art classes at our library. This month we took a wool felting class that we LOVED. We are having fun needle felting at home, and everyone is wanting to give us their fleece and wool now. 😉
    Your journal reminds me of a vision board I created, something I was invited to do with a small group of ladies at my friend Alaina’s house. (Alaina, I’ve probably mentioned before, reminds me of you, Robyn.) Decorating/creating a vision board was really enriching.
    Hope your day is beautiful!

Amanda,
      Glad school is going well. Ahead of schedule, that’s awesome!

When I went to the Iowa Sheep and Wool Festival a few years ago, I was amazed at the number of people active in creative wool hobbies. Spinning, dyeing, felting, knitting, and making all kinds of wool products. Glad you and Beau are having fun with a new form of art.

Blessings to you!

I agree with you that a camera helps me to take time to appreciate the beauty around me.

4. Madge Bloom says:

I looked on her website, the class sounds interesting… the older I get the more simple things delight me… they always have, but there were years where I was too busy to notice… which is a shame… may you draw near to the Lord through the simple things that give you joy… have a great day Robyn…

• Janet says:

I liked Madge’s comment and agree with her.
      It is being to take time to smell the roses and then what should one find but a hummingbird in amongst the garden flowers. To top it off my mother was visiting us and she was with me in the garden. A neat memory.

Madge,
      I’m glad you had a chance to look at White Owl Wings. I really enjoy Jodi and find her very inspirational. If you are interested I know Jodi would be more than happy to visit with you. It’s an at your own pace class, so she might be keeping registration open.

• Madge Bloom says:

Thanks, right now between ministry, Bible study, church and family and my own freelance photography and calligraphy, my plate is full… but I will keep it in mind… 🙂

5. Bonnie says:

I love this lesson. I watch my students, who are always in a hurry and forever bored. Maybe slowing down and enjoying life comes with age. I love the grain truck photo. It reminds me of my Uncle Bob’s truck. I am glad you had fun with your company.

6. Pam Galindo says:

I sure enjoyed hearing about the lovely family that came to visit you. And your art project (sticks and stones) has inspired me with a project that came to mind as I read your descriptions. I’ve had a nice journal for sometime and couldn’t decide quite what to do with it. But, I think I will fill it with nature’s sticks and stones and other jewels of Mother Nature.

7. CountryMum says:

The old grain truck certainly does have a lot of character. It is very photogenic.

I agree with the sentiments about photography. I have found the more I photograph, the more I see to photograph.