Even I Can Be Impromptu

Impromptu: not prepared ahead of time; made or done without preparation.  I had intentions to visit my Sister earlier this month.  Due to iffy weather and a couple of things I thought I better stay home for, I didn’t go.  I have been thinking about a February trip to see my folks.  Due to the nice weather and a few things coming up in February, I made a fly by the seat of my pants decision to head south.

Molly and I left Tuesday morning after helping J start chores.

I am looking forward to… spending time with Mom and Dad.  I am also going to visit with Aunts and Uncles too! January 23 I am learning… Where some of my funny little personality quirks come from.  I pick up on a few every time I visit home.

Around the house…  Lots of good conversations are going on.  Riley is sitting on my lap and Molly is eating popcorn with Mom.  I talked Mom into helping me edit my magazine articles too.   January 23 I am pondering… I grew up on a ranch in Nebraska.  Today I am ranching with my Husband in South Dakota.  J and I are in the same business as my folks and our management is different.  Dad and I spend a lot of time visiting about cattle, genetics, the environment and sharing how and why we do things the way we do.

A favorite quote for today… comes from Kelly at Old Blue Silo.  Life isn’t about finding yourself.  Life is about creating yourself!  I think part of creating ourselves is knowing where we came from and understanding what makes us who we are.  January 23 It’s nice to have the opportunity to visit home before calving!  Yesterday afternoon, I went to visit my Grandma.  I am a very blessed to have a Husband who is willing to share me for a few days.

11 Responses to Even I Can Be Impromptu

1. Loretta Beavis says:

Impromptu – is that without prompting? I gotta look that up in Merriam-Webster. Seems to be that is the Gestalt achievement, living in the moment, the here and now.
    I see that in your phrase “…after helping J start chores…”
    I would add to our impromptu — adaptable and creative.
    I am in psychology. The public educators want to mass produce “impromptu” people.
    I suggest the school is lives such as yours, including “fly by the seat of my pants decision making synthesized from acquired and developed skills–especially being a Ranch Wife.
    The cows (bovines) are pretty impromptu themselves, a natural model for mankind. I love the pictures, do they change their countenance when you take close pictures?

2. Loretta Beavis says:

Oh yeah, and improvise is synonymous with impromptu…
    Hey y’all what other words are the same as impromptu in your lives?
    L

3. Bonnie says:

Glad you got a chance to see your family before calving starts. Sounds like you are having a good time. Hope you haven’t been caught in some of the ground blizzards they seem to be having at the east end of the state.

4. Emily Grace says:

Running away for a few days is so refreshing. I hope you had a great time and enjoyed the drive home, too! Best, Emily Grace

It’s nice to just pick up and go! I’m glad you are having a good time! 🙂

6. Emily says:

Very nice, enjoy your time!!

7. cheri says:

Enjoy! Its nice to take a break before the hours, days and weeks turn into 1.

I hope your visit has been relaxing and that you’ve recharged your batteries. Sounds as though you have! Safe travels back home, my friend!

9. Glad to hear you’re having such a fun visit!

10. Robyn I’ve made mental note & meant to ask about your magazine articles. My friend, who you remind me of, who used to live in SD, then moved to MO, and is now back in our area on her home farm here in northern MN used to write for Beef Magazine, and boy did she love it.

Amanda,
      I write for the Lowline Ledger. It’s a quarterly publication put out by the Lowline Registry. Lowlines are also known as miniature cattle. The magazine publisher and I have a common friend. I have been writing for them 3 years.

The 2nd magazine is a show livestock publication out of Texas. My Sister put the bug in my ear that they were looking for a contributing writer.

I also enjoy sending articles to the Black Hills Simple Living on-line magazine (http://www.blackhillssimplelife.com/Black_Hills_Simple_Life/Welcome.html). It is a neat little publication. You should check it out; it has lots of homesteading type articles and neat photography from the Black Hills.