Empty Dams and Baby Calves

Happy Easter!  I hope you have a joyous and wonderful day.

I am sharing a few more pictures from last week’s Wintery Weekend.

Due to the drought we are currently experiencing, we have received very little rain and snow.  We need water to nourish our prairie grasses, farm land, and to fill dams.

I am submitting this picture for Tuesday Muse Meme with Nancy at A Rural JournalI used the Argo texture.

March 31

Most of our dams are basically empty.  This dam is in our winter pasture.

March 31

Dams like these are not fresh and are an unreliable source of water for our livestock.  This is the same dam as the first picture.

March 31

Over time wood posts get a weathered look to them.  They have to withstand the elements year in and year out.

March 31

This time of year baby calves are an everyday ordinary thing.  The cows are starting to keep us busy.  Between checking cows, tagging calves, moving pairs and dealing with calving issues we are constantly on the move.

I am submitting this picture for Texture Tuesday at Kim Klassen Cafe .  I used the Cherish texture.

March 31

We continue to pray for water, rain or snow, we will take it.  Fresh water resources are a priority for our livestock.  We rely on dams in a few of our summer pastures, if the water is bad we have to adjust our grazing plan.  Dealing with weather is an ordinary part of our lives.  We work in the elements everyday.  The success or failure of our crops depends on the weather.  If we will have grass to graze this summer depends on the moisture we receive this spring.  There is a chance for moisture today; we are optimistic.

13 Responses to Empty Dams and Baby Calves

1. Nicki says:

I wish I could send along some of the abundant rain we have received this year – in fact, it is raining as I type.

Happy Easter.

2. Holly says:

Love your fresh shot. The reflection in the water is so pretty.

3. Nina says:

Such a beautiful Picture of the pond with the reflecions of the trees, and the soft, sweet calf! I hope you get the right amount of rain this spring, so that everything will go fine in your farm,

I hope you guys got some precipitation yesterday and had a nice Easter. 🙂
    The last shot of the calf nibbling hay is great!

5. Barbara says:

Beautiful set of photos and I love the baby calves… so adorable.

6. Snap says:

We are in extreme drought here. Going to get some good rains today and tomorrow (we hope). Wishing you rain, too. Enjoyed all your shots … especially the last two shots … love the youngsters!

7. Anne Payne says:

I sure hope you get plenty of water this year! Love seeing the photos of your ranch.

8. Carol says:

Great image and great post.

9. Marie-AZ says:

Your photos are lovely. They remind me of when we lived in Texas….hope you have enough water for the ranch this spring and summer!

10. I tired of the snow but I don’t mind the rain . . . I’ll be sure to send some your way. Love the baby’s, a sure sign of spring.

11. Kristeen says:

Each and every one of you photos are done well – I Love the 4th photo how can you pass up such a cute face but how you edited the last one is ideally done VERY well – liking it a lot!!..
    Hugs – for rain – rain to fill up the dams.. I know the importance of it all – all the best!!!

12. Judy L says:

I love baby cows…I know I know they are calves…but you must understand I am a transplanted New Yorker now living in Texas…they all laugh at me here when I stop the car to go look at the “baby cows”! They are babies and they are cows…. Love the Texture Tuesday photo!!!!!

Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment, Judy. I always enjoy hearing what people think about our rural lifestyle. We raise cattle, but I am always looking out the window at cattle as we drive by. I like to take pictures of non-black cattle too.