Easy Cheesy Chicken Bake

We are ranchers that live in South Dakota, this contributes to this fact we eat a lot of beef.  Ranchers that live in the Midwest region of the United States raise the best beef in the world!  Every once in a great while chicken sounds good to eat.  This hot dish (or casserole, if you are from my part of Nebraska) is a favorite at our house.  It must be a favorite at every body’s house because the recipe is printed on the back of the Stove Top Stuffing box.  None-the-less I will share the recipe with you.

1 pkg (6 oz.) Stove Top Stuffing Mix for Chicken

1 ½ lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces.

I use leftovers from a boasted or baked chicken.  We are big meat eaters, so I put in an amount that looks good to me.  I am never impressed when I eat a dish and get shorted on meat.

1 bag (14 oz) frozen broccoli florets, thawed, drained

This time I used fresh broccoli and steamed it before I added it to the chicken mix. I had no frozen broccoli in the freezer, better add that to the growing Rapid City list.

1 can (10 ¾ oz) condensed cream of chicken soup

½ Cup milk

1 ½ Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese

I normally use Velveeta.  I had some in the fridge to use up and I like the way it melts so smooth.  I toss in an amount that looks good for our taste and preferences.

I snuck in some fresh garlic and a little bit of onion.  J is not a big onion fan, it is a texture thing.  I love onion!

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare a 9 X 13 inch pan.

I use a 9 X 9 inch pan or my 7 X 11 inch Pyrex.

Prepare stuffing mix as directed on package and set aside.

Mix soup and milk add chicken, broccoli and cheese.

Place in prepared pan and top with prepared stuffing mix.

Bake 30 minutes or until heated through.

I hope you enjoy this easy hot dish!  It is nice to make ahead of time and have ready to pop in the oven after doing chores or doing cattle work.

Do you call it a HOT DISH or CASSEROLE at your house?

8 Responses to Easy Cheesy Chicken Bake

1. crystal.cattle says:

I don’t really like chicken that much, definitely a beef girl, and if has wings normally turkey, but this looks really good. Might have to try it out. Thanks for the chicken inspirations.
    crystalcattle.com

2. Kari Sanders says:

Do you like frozen broccoli? I’ve only bought it a couple of times and it seemed to have more stalks than tops. Any thoughts?

Kari, I don’t buy a lot of frozen veggies, mostly fresh. J is not a fan of greens or veggies and I like fresh. I have to be honest I don’t know about your stalks question. I have not notice anything like that, but will be more observant next time. I will tell you steaming fresh broccoli then adding it to the hot dish worked good. Last night I sautéed mushrooms and onion and tossed in some broccoli, that worked well too.

3. Jona says:

It was always hot dish when I was growing up! We don’t each much of it these days, whatever you call it! The closest we get is Cheeseburger Mac – browned ground beef with onions, hot cooked shell pasta or elbow macaroni and enough Velveeta to make you happy. Stir until it melts and serve!

4. Ida says:

We call them casseroles in Kansas! Though when I liveed in Wisconsin everything was known as a hot dish.

5. Robyn says:

Thanks for the comment Ida! I am sure you are learning all kinds of terminology interpretations. J still gets me with funny words for things. This morning he told me Roxie found some beef jerky. I said “Oh, did your Mom have some old jerky she tossed to the chickens?” We were standing at the window watching Roxie and J says “No, I mean Roxie found some afterbirth. It would be best to limit the amount of time your dog is outside.”

6. Rose says: