Dressing For The Cold

February 22

Playing in the Snow

By Karla Kuskin

Under my hood I have a hat
And under that
My hair is flat.
Under my coat
My sweater’s blue,
My sweater’s red.
I’m wearing two.
My muffler muffles to my chin
And round my neck
And then tucks in.
My gloves were knitted
By my aunts.
I’ve mittens too
And pants
And pants
And boots
And shoes
With socks inside.
The boots are rubber, red and wide.
And when I walk
I must not fall
Because I can’t get up at all.

February 25

This poem makes me laugh as it applies to me when I go out to do chores!

Linking up atย Weekly Top Shot #123ย with Madge atย The View From Right Here

17 Responses to Dressing For The Cold

1. pat says:

these are fantastic frosty macros!

2. Very creative photography and love the poem ~ so creative ~ thanks, Happy Weekend to you ^_^

artmusedog and carol

3. Darcy says:

I love this poem! It is so, so true. ๐Ÿ™‚ Glad to hear your first calf is on the ground! Calving season is a LOT of work, but it will all be worth it. We weren’t ready for it either when it started, but the funny thing is once you get thrown into it you just make it all work! ๐Ÿ™‚

4. Jocee says:

I love that peg shot.
    The poem is great, I can relate. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. cheri says:

ha ha ha! That is a great poem! It is exactly how I feel when all bundled up.
    Yea on your first calf! ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Nell says:

Love your cloths pins!

7. Hootin' Anni says:

Love these images…so very artistic!!

8. Pat says:

Love those frosty clothes pins and barbed wire shots. Cute poem.

9. Bonnie says:

I love the poem! I just went for a walk today and at 4 degrees I fit that description. Thanks for sharing. Stay warm.

What a funny (and true!) poem! We have to sort feeder calves on Tuesday, which is supposed to be the coldest day of the week. But, the truck comes to take them to the sale barn on Wednesday and they sell on Thursday. So, I guess I’ll be bundled up similarly to the poem. I love the clothesline photo. We haven’t had much hoar frost here this winter. Have a good week, Robyn!

Kim,
      Good luck with shipping and selling calves. I hope all goes well.

Friday was a beautiful day, I even took a layer or two of outside clothes off. Saturday and Sunday a bit colder; today I have seen a high of 6*. We had flurries this morning and it’s breezy.

Wednesday looks to be our “nice” day of the week, 19* and if that is true we are running cows through the chute. The cows need their pre-calving shot and poured.

We haven’t had many hoar frost days this winter, but I hope we have a few more.

11. Your poem makes me think of the little brother in ‘A Christmas Story,’ who falls and can’t get up without help… love those frosty clothes pins… Thank you for coming by sharing your creative photography on the Weekly Top Shot, #123!

12. Ha! I love the poem. Snow is hip deep here now, in the quiet un-drifted areas in the woods. Drifts are high & snowbanks higher – 10-12 ft. We’re running out of room for places to push it! Layering is in our nature.. and while I don’t mind it now, this poem reminds me of being kid – how hard it was to get around when we were bundled so thick. ๐Ÿ™‚
    I already said it – but I just love that shot of the clothespins & hoar frost. Beautiful!

Cuddl duds, socks up to my knees, long sleeved long john shirt and t-shirt or short sleeved shirt and long sleeved t-shirt, pants and wind pants. Then comes my outside clothes, neck warmer, hooded sweatshirt, jacket, snow pants, carhartt coat, stocking cap, light gloves and heavy gloves, shoes and winter boots. Yes, it takes me forever to get ready to go outside.

13. Teresa says:

Love the photos! I have to say, we’re back to dressing like that too this week.