Dear Taste of Home Magazine

The more I think, the more I feel the need to write a letter to Taste of Home Magazine, #1 Food & Entertainment Magazine In the World.  I received the April/ May issue in the mail last this week.  The bottom right hand corner of the cover states: GO MEATLESS, Get Healthy.

On page 70 the heading is: meatless & marvelous, The Benefits of cutting back on meat in your diet, even 1 day a week, can add up.

Here is the letter I sent to the Editors:

To Whom It May Concern:

I received the April/May issue of Taste of Home Magazine in the mail last week.  I enjoy your magazine, website and recipes.  I am writing because I am disappointed about your endorsement of GO MEATLESS, Get Healthy, as stated on the cover of this issue.

I realize that the Meatless Monday’s trend is popular right now, but that does not make it a healthy choice.  The nutrients in lean beef play an important task in living a healthful lifestyle and preventing disease.

BEEF adds ZIP to your life!

ZINC – A mineral that has been found to improve cognitive development and functioning, especially in school-age children.

IRON – Aids Red Blood Cells to carry oxygen from the lungs to vital organs and muscles, enabling them to function normally.

PROTEIN – A vital energy source and aids in regulating metabolism, weight management and enhancing the positive effects of exercise.  Protein also increases resistance to infection and disease.

B VITAMINS – Help to convert food into energy to fuel activity and helps to protect against cognitive declines later in life.

Beef’s fatty acid profile is generally misunderstood.  About half of the fatty acids found in beef are MONOUNSATURATED, the same heart-healthy kind found in olive oil.

Only about 40% of fat in beef is SATURATED.  Saturated fat helps to increase the feeling of satisfaction after a meal and transports fat-soluble vitamins.  Of that 40% one-third is a neutral “stearic” acid, which has been shown to have little to no impact on blood cholesterol levels in humans.  The remaining saturated fat is comparable to levels found in fish and skinless chicken.

I encourage you to visit resources like the nutrition section of ExploreBeef.org and fact sheets on the BeefNutrition.org websites to learn more about the “powerhouse” nutrient that beef truly is.

Sincerely,

Robyn, South Dakota Rancher

Maybe if TOH magazine gets more than one letter from an Ag-Advocate they will think twice about running such nonsense.  I hope you write a letter too!

8 Responses to Dear Taste of Home Magazine

1. Kari Sanders says:

Way to go Robyn.
    I also received the magazine and wasn’t happy when I saw the recipes and statement.
    You’re motivating me. I will do it.
    Kari

2. Janelle Goddard says:

Thanks, Robyn! Sometimes it’s worth it to speak up and be heard.

Not sure if I will be heard, but at least I know I tried. I got an automatic response back telling me TOH gets thousands of e-mails a day and can not reply to all of them. Maybe my letter will stand out to one of the editors. I will keep my readers posted.

3. Jennifer says:

Thank you! I’m so glad you wrote this letter – please let us know if you get a response. I am so tired of the meatless Monday trend. I don’t understand why people hop on these bandwagons …

4. Robyn says:

I did a presentation at the County CFEL Meeting last year. I have always known the importance of meat in a balanced and healthy diet. What I really learned was how important zinc is in cognitive development and functioning for children and how B Vitamins protect against cognitive declines later in life. It was also an eye opener to learn the truth about the forever misunderstood fatty acid profile in beef. Lean cuts of Beef are NOT bad for you! Unfortunately I think this will always be an uphill battle for our industry.

My curiosity finally got the best of me. I am going to start reading Michael Pollan’s, The Omnivore’s Dilemma. No worries I borrowed it from the Library, so I am technically not contributing to his anti-ag funding campaign. I think it’s important to know what the source of the public’s misinformation is saying.

5. Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen says:

Wow! I don’t get TOH magazine, but I see the growing trend of “meatless Mondays” on other blogs and on twitter. I asked why on twitter & I was informed that it was good for you and the environment. I said I thought it was slamming ranchers & they assured me it wasn’t. Yeah, right! It’s our income and beef is healthy. I think it’s just another push by the left wing vegan’s to do away with animal agriculture while most think they are supporting a worthy cause. I like your ZIP information, I would like to incorporate that into a post on my blog, if that’s okay with you.

Miss

Yes, you are more than welcome to use the information I found. The websites I linked to in the article are booth good too.

I have yet to visit with a Rancher that is okay with the Meatless Monday idea.

Thank You for reading and your interest/input on this “hot topic.”