Crazy Cooking Challenge ~ Chicken Noole Soup

January’s Crazy Cooking Challenge at Moms Crazy Cooking  is Chicken Noodle Soup.  I have made from scratch chicken noodle soup for years.  Well almost … this go around I decided to challenge myself by making the noodles too.

Cris at GOODEness Gracious is a member of the Real Farmwives of America and Friends.  That’s how I found her blog.  Cris blogs about food, family and life from the hills of Indiana.  Her blog has wonderful tutorials, crock pot meals, freezer ideas and more.

A few weeks Cris posted about Homemade Chicken Stock in the Crock Pot.  I often make my own chicken or beef stock and am always open to tweaking my version.  Cris has a recipe for Crock Pot “Rotisserie” Chicken that also interested me.  I, too, like to make “rotisserie chicken” with the ease of my crock pot.  What really made caught my eye was her idea to season the chicken with Lawry’s Seasoned Salt.  Within the last month Cris also posted a recipe for homemade noodles, Glady’s Chicken-n-Noodles.  The Chicken Noodle Soup challenge gave me the perfect opportunity to try a combination of Cris’s recipes!

The Chicken and The Stock

Rinse your whole chicken off and douse it in Lawry’s Seasoned Salt.  Place in Crock Pot.

Add garlic, onion, carrots and a bay leaf.  If I would have had celery that would have been tossed in also.

Cook for 8 hours on low

Remove chicken from pot.  Discard vegetables.  Let chicken cool; discard skin.  Chop up meat for soup and store leftovers for another dish.

The Noodles

¼ heaping teaspoon Baking Powder

3 Eggs

1 teaspoon Salt

1+ C Flour – I used half White Whole Wheat Flour and half All Purpose Flour.

Combine baking powder, eggs and salt.  Gradually stir in flour until a firm dough forms.

Cut in half, then roll up each piece into a log.

Cut log in half sideways, then longways, then sideways again.

Break a part noodles and let them dry while preparing soup.

Bring soup to a boil; add noodles.  Cook until al dente, about 20 minutes.

The Soup

Cool broth and skim fat off the top; return to crock pot.  Add chicken, onion, carrots, and celery to broth.  Just so you know, I stopped at the store and got celery to have in the soup.

Bring soup to a boil and add noodles.  Cook until al dente, about 20 minutes.

My noodles ended up looking more dumpling like.  Either way we liked the taste.

Thank You Cris for several tasty, easy recipes and a tutorial for making my first batch of homemade noodles!  Rancher and Ranchwife approved.

18 Responses to Crazy Cooking Challenge ~ Chicken Noole Soup

It looks good! One of my favorite memories from childhood was going to my grandparents’ house after church and seeing the homemade noodles laid out to dry, just in time for Sunday dinner. I wish I’d been more interested in learning how to make them when my grandma was alive. I have her recipe. I just need to get busy. (I wish my husband liked noodles more. I love them, but he doesn’t, though he will eat pretty much anything.)

2. Lisa~~ says:

Love that you made homemade noodles, looks delicious.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my Crazy Cooking Challenge entry: Thai Chicken Noodle Soup

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

Andi, Vivian and Lisa
      Thank You for checking out my Chicken Noodle Soup recipe! I had fun making the homemade noodles, but left room for improvement. I look forward to my next attempt at making noodles.

3. Vivian thiele says:

how beautiful your dish looks!
    I made the shaker chicken noodle soup.

4. andi winslow says:

Just making my rounds today. These soups are my favorite and making me very hungry. Your soup looks wonderful and very tasty. And you are taking that a step further….making your own noodles Good girl I’ll add that to the bucket list. Nice post and recipe. Andi #12

I’ve never seen crock pot rotisserie chicken before! Does it brown?
    Your soup turned out beautifully! I’ve only recently started making homemade noodles myself and can’t believe how good they are! 🙂

Candy
      No, not really. The skin doesn’t brown because of all the liquid in the crock pot. What is your homemade noodle recipe? Have you done a post about homemade noodles yet? I made Butermilk Wheat Bread today (from your dinner roll recipe) … I LOVE it!

6. Cris says:

So glad you enjoyed the recipes!

7. ButterYum says:

Very interesting technique. All these soups are making me hungry!! I hope you’ll stop by to visit my CCC post for Southwestern Chicken Noodle Soup. Take care!

🙂
    ButterYum

8. LinsFood says:

This looks absolutely delicious and I love your bowl! I’ve made a Thai one on my site if you fancy a look. xx

9. Carrie@ My Favorite Finds says:

How unique to make your own noodles. I’ve not attempted that, but my mom recently has started doing so and says it is very easy. Good job!

10. Jennifer says:

That looks like a very chickeny soup! Yum Yum!

11. SharleneT says:

I love the idea of homemade noodles! That’s what I’m going to do, next time! Great entry and off to visit her site, too! Come visit my CCC entry #52 when you can.

Homemade noodles are fun Sharlene! I have not mastered them, but want to try making them again. Solar cooking, sounds very interesting. Thank You for checking out my blog!

12. I love that you made your own noodles. I need to do that! The whole chicken cooked in the stock pot has piqued my curiosity. I need to go to the grocery now! Thanks!

13. I am totally trying that chicken in crock-pot recipe!

and Looks like some delicious soup! My soup is #1 – Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup – come check it out and it was my first time making Homemade Chicken Soup!

Tina

I have had so much fun with Mom’s Crazy Cooking Challenge! Thank You for hosting and look forward to the next challenge.