Life continues to be busy on the ranch. Last week we did a little cattle switching. We got the number of pairs we need for one of our summer pasture groups and started a second group. The bulls got moved to the west pasture and the yearlings to the bull pasture.
The cows keep calving heavy. We’ve been getting 12-17 calves a day for close to two weeks and are over half done calving.
During calving season our day goes something like this:
6:00 am (or daybreak): J and I go out to tag babies born over night.
7:30 – Feeding chores:
1. “Drop Bunch” – These are cows that have not calved yet.
2. Yearlings – We are still feeding this group with the feed wagon. Since we moved the cattle we have to haul the feed a little further.
3. Windmill Pasture Pairs – This is the second summer pasture group.
4. East Pasture Pairs – These are the oldest calves and summer pasture group #1.
5. Bulls – The pasture we moved the bulls to has a fair amount of available grazing. We check on them and take them hay or cake a couple of times a week.
After feeding we start moving pairs out of the calving pasture or work on a project.
After dinner we go out to check cows and tag. Around 2:00 we move more pairs out. We do anther tag and move at 5-5:30. J and I go out for one last check around 7:30 and the cows are on their own over night.
Last week’s projects included cleaning the calving barn, fencing and equipment maintenance. This week we would like to go after oat seed and take a load of cull cows to town.
In between times I try to keep up with skirt work and meals. I squeeze in blogging and a walk too.
Sunday and Monday mornings were cold; it was in the low 20’s with wind. By afternoon the sun came out and winds went down with highs in the mid 30’s. The weatherman says today will be a gorgeous spring day followed by colder temperatures and possibly snow later this week. I am still bundling up with many layers like it’s January. I don’t mind temperatures in the mid 30’s, it’s the wind that I don’t like. As you can see, Rosie is good with warm, cold, snow, wind or shine!