Calves, Roxie and Geese

The weather continues to be spring like.  In South Dakota that includes wind.  Monday and Tuesday almost blew us away.  Good thing we have evolved roots to keep us grounded on such days.  I also put rocks in my pockets so I don’t blow away.

I took these pictures during chores on Sunday morning.

Heifer calving is going good and we are over half done.  It never seizes to amaze me how a calf can go from a new-born baby and a week later be a running bucking curious calf.

This guy is a few days old and was nestled down in the grass at chore time.

Roxie likes to ride along to supervise feeding the yearlings.  She was pretty serious during chores. She looks so stiff and frank.  I like the color and light I captured in the sunrise.

While feeding cows I saw these Canadian Geese by the dam.  I saw three of them.  We don’t see a lot birds around here; a hand full of pheasants and a few prairie chickens.  Hopefully we will see more birds as the spring developes.

How is calving going at your house?  How is the weather?

16 Responses to Calves, Roxie and Geese

1. Roxie is such a beautiful dog! No calving here, but I can live vicariously through yours 😉

2. LindaG says:

Nope. No calving here, and probably won’t be any when we get to the farm.
    But I do enjoy all the blogs I read when they calve or kid. Hopefully I’ll get to have my own chicks someday. :^)

Have a wonderful day!

3. Tanya says:

no calving over here at our place but we are having awesome weather, in the 80’s! love it! great photos!!

4. I was thrilled to see wild turkeys perched in our windbreak down by the pond last night. Lots of them! Love the fact you have a couple of Canadas on your place. Wouldn’t it be cool if they decided to raise their babies in that spot?

🙂

5. debH says:

I only have 10 cows to calve and with 7 done…I am in the home stretch. Now for that grass to grow…grow..grow!!!
    I know what you mean about a baby calf and how fast they can develope the devil in them. I had two born last Saturday, it was in the 70’s that day. The first one was a little bull calf. He was fast at everything…stood up within 5 minutes and stable..guzzling within 8 minutes. Bucking and kicking within the half hour. So Funny!! The second one born later that afternoon, was a HUGE girl….took her sweet time standing and I had to help her get her legs together…I like to see they get that first milk in the first hour or two and closing in on the first hour she hadn’t even tried to nurse. So…I milked the cow from earlier in the day, and fed her a pint or so of warm cholostrum. She got the taste and it was all a go after that. When I was watching the calves playing last night, that little bull calf is just the king of the hill already. The little heifer calf is nice and healthy but clingy and cautious! Just like kids aren’t they? And weather here is the same but a day or two later than yours…I live in the middle of SD.
    And I definitely know about anchoring a person down some days. I WILL take this Winter we’ve been having for all my future Winters!! I have enjoyed this one tremendously!

Deb

There is always something going on when you have livestock. Glad to hear your heifer got up and going with a little help.

How fun to find another South Dakota blogger!

6. Of our two cows, one is getting close! But the neighboring ranches have thousands on the ground. It’s been a good spring for calving here compared to last year.

Miss Gtyyup

Looks like you had a nice snow. I love the picture of Papa Owl and Red. I can’t leave a comment on your blog, but check it often.

7. Lori says:

Well we don’t have a farm, but my neighbors up the road do. Recently we’ve noticed there are new baby calves. Last year I stopped and took photos of the babies that were born then. I guess I will have to make another stop.

No calves here but we should have kids by this time next month! We get a bit windy here in the spring too!! Jerry always says it blows worse here than anywhere else in the country! Yeah, right! 😉
    I love the early morning lighting on Roxie too and how fun to see the geese!

Candy
      I can’t wait to see your kid pictures!

You and Jerry need to come visit us on a windy day. It can be a challenge. We are talking 50-60 mph winds that last all day.

It’s a bad day when we run out of Q-Tips. This has only happened once, 2 weeks ago, in the last 7 1/2 years.

9. Teresa says:

Love Roxie! What a beautiful helper she is. I’m still waiting for my calf. It won’t arrive until the end of next month.

Teresa
      You have a while to wait. By the end of April I hope we are over half done with the cows!
      Roxie is photogenic, A LOT more than my wiggly Little Dog.

10. JP says:

Your dog, Roxie, is beautiful! The coloring and angle you caught on camera really show a lot!…:)JP