Calves, Calves, Baby Calves

The calendar turned another page this week. It’s April!

1. One of the biggest issues we have been dealing with on the prairie is wind. We’ve had a lot of very windy days and today it blows again. There have been reports within the area (60 mile radius) of gusts in the 70-73 mph range. The wind doesn’t help the fact that we are also dry. The combination of these two factors keeps us in a high fire danger category. There was a fire that started west of us on Saturday; it’s still burning. We know of two fires that started yesterday.

April 2

2. Mom’s sheep may be thirsty; but this guy is hungry! It always amazes me how fast the calves start eating hay, drinking out of the water tank and licking at mineral. Healthy happy cattle; that’s our goal.

April 2

3. Tuesday we moved the cows to the calving pasture. They picked up the calving rate and the winter pasture got to be too big to check. We have been brainstorming about changing the calving location as the “bull pasture” has more grass cover and is currently a nicer, cleaner place for a cow to give birth. We’ll see what the week brings.

April 2

4. We have two heifers left to calf! Monday I did the 8:30 pm check, the second of our two baldy heifers was calving. I went into a pen, sat in the straw and watched her give birth. The heifer had a bull calf with similar markings as her. We don’t get very many white faces and I like it when we do.

April 2

5. J and his Dad have been mechanicing and getting ready to farm. Tuesday T started working ground. Once the wind becomes more reasonable J needs to go pick up oat seed and start planting.

Have you been getting extreme wind?

I wish all of you a Happy Easter.

Linking Up with Nancy, Rural Journal, for Random 5 Friday.

8 Responses to Calves, Calves, Baby Calves

1. Janet Wilson says:

Wow, strong winds. We were to get rain but didn’t. Happy Easter to Jim and you. We are going to my son and family in Hastings, 30 of us. Bill and I are ushers at church for 2 services 7 and 9 with breakfast in between. Thanks again for the eggs, Robin.

2. Alica says:

Yes, it’s been typical March weather here (oops, I guess it’s April now!) It’s been really windy but nothing like the winds that you get on the prairie, I’m sure! Hopefully it will dry out our ground enough to start seeding alfalfa, which is Jim’s first spring task. Love the pictures of the calf with it’s mouth full of food. You’re so right…they learn quickly!

3. Cheri says:

That little calf has a mouthful! Too cute.
    It’s been very windy here too. Our internet was down for 4 days! They said lightning hit the tower!
    We had frost this morning. Yesterday was crazy weather. Rain, hail, sunshine and wind. I can deal with all weather. But wind that knocks you down I can do without. 🙂
    Hope you and J have a beautiful Easter.
    Cheri

I am listening to the wind blow this morning. Randy is taking a semi load of hay to Dodge City, and the wind makes me nervous. We had a fast-moving storm blow through last night with some hail, wind and a tiny bit of rain. We need a lot more rain.

Have a wonderful Easter, Robyn!

5. Snap says:

It does get windy here … especially before or after a storm. Love your images of your cattle …especially the calves. I think it’s those brown eyes — get me every time! Happy Easter!

6. Marie-AZ says:

Great photos! Such a precious calf! How neat you got to see one being born. Happy Easter as well to you!

7. No high wind here although it’s cooled off this week and we have slightly overcast skies.
    I bet it’s fun to see the baby calves in spring.
    Enjoyed reading about your farm life.
    Happy Easter.

8. Madge Bloom says:

That little black calf, oh my goodness, so incredibly cute! That wind sounds wicked, especially if it’s cold as well. Have a blessed Easter my friend, ‘He Is Risen Indeed!’