The calendar turned another page this week. It’s April!
1. One of the biggest issues we have been dealing with on the prairie is wind. We’ve had a lot of very windy days and today it blows again. There have been reports within the area (60 mile radius) of gusts in the 70-73 mph range. The wind doesn’t help the fact that we are also dry. The combination of these two factors keeps us in a high fire danger category. There was a fire that started west of us on Saturday; it’s still burning. We know of two fires that started yesterday.
2. Mom’s sheep may be thirsty; but this guy is hungry! It always amazes me how fast the calves start eating hay, drinking out of the water tank and licking at mineral. Healthy happy cattle; that’s our goal.
3. Tuesday we moved the cows to the calving pasture. They picked up the calving rate and the winter pasture got to be too big to check. We have been brainstorming about changing the calving location as the “bull pasture” has more grass cover and is currently a nicer, cleaner place for a cow to give birth. We’ll see what the week brings.
4. We have two heifers left to calf! Monday I did the 8:30 pm check, the second of our two baldy heifers was calving. I went into a pen, sat in the straw and watched her give birth. The heifer had a bull calf with similar markings as her. We don’t get very many white faces and I like it when we do.
5. J and his Dad have been mechanicing and getting ready to farm. Tuesday T started working ground. Once the wind becomes more reasonable J needs to go pick up oat seed and start planting.
Have you been getting extreme wind?
I wish all of you a Happy Easter.
Linking Up with Nancy,, for .