Calm Before the Storm

We are down to one first calf heifer to calf. The ultrasound says April 5th, but we think it will be sooner than that. The last few days we have found a calf or two in the cows. This morning J and I  are bringing the cow herd into the calving pasture; one day closer to crazy daze.

March 25

After the heifers calf we take them to a small pasture to make sure the new mothers are tending to business. When we get a few pairs accumulated we open the gate to a bigger pasture, so the pairs have more room. Saturday morning we opened the gate. It’s fun to see baby calves run with tails in air, jump and play. Darcy (who blogs at Success is Reason Enough)  likes to watch calves buck!

March 25

I mentioned that the weatherman was predicting a cold front; he was right. Over the weekend I saw 13* for an early morning temp and highs in the 20’s maybe 30 with wind. There has also been several flurries of snow go through.

J went to a bull sale in the Hills yesterday.  I stayed home to hold the fort down. I also baked bread and made a few treats. It’s nice to have a some reserves in the freezer for those long busy days of calving.

March 25

The yearlings and replacement heifers are about to set us crazy. Due to their curious nature they are always up to something. Lately they have been itching and scratching on the fences. This leads to going through the fence causing the Rancher frustration. One of the first calf heifers came up open and we slipped her in with the yearlings. She has become an instigator for getting out and has a loyal following. This is a cell phone picture.

March 25

Every once in a while J and I forget to get the mail; Friday was one of those rare occasions. We stopped to get the mail on Saturday morning after receiving a text saying we had cows out on the road. I got a another surprise in the mail! Let me back up a step. For my birthday, I got two surprise packages. One from my Aunt who sent me two devotional type books. Kim (who blogs at Kim’s County Line) sent me a set of greeting cards made from pictures she has taken.

Saturday I got a package from Amy (who blogs at A Ranch Wife’s Slant). Amy sent me a package of homemade things, including Cajun seasoning, Chai tea, hand lotion and exfoliating scrub. She also sent a hand written letter that brought tears to my eyes.

I feel very blessed to have a network of family and friends that support me. Some I don’t get to see often or spend enough time with. Some are blog friends across the miles that leave comments or send personal e-mails. Many I would love to meet one day. Each of you have a special place in my heart and I am happy that our lives have crossed paths. Thank You for your friendships!

13 Responses to Calm Before the Storm

Oh Robyn it is so busy now I know things will get even busier and I guess we will both get through it some way or another. It makes those moments when you have time to bake or read cards and enjoy special packages in the mail then take time to know what is truly important in this life. Take care and I will be thinking of you. Hug B

It sounds like you guys are as busy as ever! I can’t believe how this cold weather is hanging on this year. My goats rub on the fences to scratch too but (thankfully) they aren’t big enough to knock them down! It is nice to have some friends ‘out in the blog-o-sphere’ isn’t it? 🙂

Miss Candy,

I never could have guessed the connections and friends I have made through blogging. They are awesome.

Yesterday I made two of your bread recipes. I have not made yeast bread for a while; now I have 3 loaves in the freezer and one to enjoy now. The bread is so flexible. I like to eat it as a sandwich or plain. J loves toast, french toast or bread and butter with a meal.

I’m thankful for your friendship, too, Robyn! Love that last photo! Good luck as you hit your stride with calving. I love watching the baby calves as they run and play in the pasture, too. Just one of the many fringe benefits to life in the country. Have a great day!

4. Loretta Beavis says:

Wow, I wish I could be there for the rituals…horses do funny things, a herd of heifers, some teeny-boppers, it seems, how funny even more. I had a training stable and occasionally my boss mare would open a gate (or did I forget something….) and take my gang five down the highway about midnight. I would not hear a hoof beat as they went by the house (they had to be trotting fast) but a few hours later I hear the rattle of hoof and steel when they came back!

On a drive through northern Idaho, I saw cattle on the side of the road (steep hill), then very close to the car, then on both sides of the road, quickly cowboys and girl, moving them along across and along the road. It was a startling contrast to driving in southern California, where we think we own the road…

Your posts are wonderful. I want to daydream about my future and think about the things I used to like so much. A herd of Dexter cattle might be fun, except for the work that comes before fun….

Loretta

5. Jen says:

It sure sounds like it’s about to get nuts over there. I don’t have cows but I sure love visiting you and learning about them at your place. Great pics Robyn especially love the last one… Cute! I sure hope it warms up for you guys too, so weird how it’s still so cold for late march…

6. Linda W says:

The baby calf is cute! Good luck with all your “new moms.” When I lived in SD, I remember we always went straight from winter to summer. Spring was usually just a brief moment in time. Hope you get some warmer temps and flowers soon.

7. Cheri says:

I just love to watch the calves come racing to the feed truck.
    We processed the replacements yesterday. Will turn them out of the feedlot in a few days. We helped their itching the fences, by putting 4 huge boulders in the lot. That has really saved on the fences.
    Cheri

8. Roan says:

Since my father-in-law passed away, haven’t been around cows. I remember herding cows who found a way to escape the fence. Good memories. Love your munching cows shot. I have made some very good friends over the years through blogging. They are as real to me as if they lived down the block. Stay warm!

9. It’s all so fascinating, Robyn…and a lot of work. 🙂 Cows are absolutely one of my favorite animals, tho. I’m always telling my hubby that I’m gonna get one. Ha!

10. Myla says:

I’d have to agree with Darcy, I just love watching baby calves run and play! Matt laughs at me, but I get giddy when I see a herd running to the barn because I’m always like “Ah, look at ’em! I love it when cows run!” Yes, I know I’m a weirdo. 🙂 I really enjoy the picture of the girls all stacked up against the fence! I imagine them saying ‘Who us? We’re not up to anything!’ I hope you get some warm weather before all your cows get too excited about having those babies!!

11. Linda R says:

Sounds like you are one busy gal. I really enjoy seeing the photos of all your cows. I do hope it warmed up after that cold front.

Hugs~

12. Ya’ll are busy, busy! I hope the rest of the calving goes smoothly. Also hope for nice weather, and calm evenings to rest. Have a great weekend!