Barn at Hill City

Here is a barn I saw on the way back into Hill City from our attempt to climb Harney Peak.  I pulled over on the side of the road to capture these shots.  I like the barn shape and background.  I do wonder about all the busses.

It was a busy weekend for this gal.  I tend to bake and cook on Saturday morning.  I made Whatchamacallit Bars, crock pot “roasted” a chicken for Chicken Tortilla Soup and Onion Bread Sticks.  I also tried to make strawberry turnovers, but we won’t be talking about that.

After last Wednesday and Thursday’s 60 mph winds and gusts up to 80 mph, our yard was full of sticks and twigs.  Saturday afternoon I went to picking up sticks and raked the yard.  Between the dog doo and cactus it was a dangerous job.  J helped me haul my piles out on Sunday.

Saturday, J and his Dad spent most of the day helping Cousin T move cattle home from grass.

Sunday afternoon we moved the yearling heifers.  Upon gathering the girls J saw two head with porcupine quills.  We ran them in and pulled out the quills and trailed them to a new pasture.  Later in the afternoon J and his folks moved some pairs to get ready to bring cattle home from grass.

This morning we moved pairs home from summer grass.  It was a brisk morning with a few sprinkles.  By the time we made it in for dinner, it was 38*.  With a little moisture Miss B and I decided to burn.  Between the dry conditions and wind our garbage has accumulated rapidly.  It amazes me how much trash two households of two people can accumulate.

Have you moved cattle home from summer grass?  Have you weaned or sold calves yet?

13 Responses to Barn at Hill City

I love the pretty red barn. I’m not sure I’m ready for snow though. We have moved most of our cattle home because of drought and sold the feeder cattle for the second year because we have enough feed just for the mamas, who are due again in late January/early February. We have one pasture to do next week. That pasture’s grasses are in better shape because of underflow. We will sell those feeder calves, too.

Wow, with the wind and the cold weather you have had, you are making me chilly!! Not to mention the snow in the barn picture! 🙂
    I wonder if the people who live there are bus drivers for the school district?
    I always enjoy reading your posts Robyn!

3. We were finally able to turn our cattle out onto a “new” pasture – one they hadn’t been on yet this year. The grass defiantly wasn’t great but at least there was some grass, that can’t be said for where they were before!

4. Pat says:

Lovely big red barn!

5. Rose says:

That would make a good Christmas card…

6. Beth - VA says:

love the buses in front. that is so cool. great colors against the snow. reds. yellows…. lovely!! (:

7. Dianna says:

I had the same thought as Rose – it would make a nice Christmas card…well, without the buses!
    Thanks for visiting today!

8. genie says:

First let me say that I really like your font and the size of it. It is a joy for my aging eyes…so easy to read as I am typing. I can see my misspellings so well. I like this barn, too. The little diamond shaped windows add a special bit of charm. Here is our county I am always seeing school buses parked at barns or houses. Maybe the family members drive students to and from school. I can’t get over the snow. I am not quite ready for it to come though it will be pretty when it arrives. You must really be having some cold weather. The trees are so pretty with the fluffy white on them. genie

9. Carletta says:

Hi Robyn,
    My but you’ve been busy. 🙂
    I was also thinking the folks who lived there might drive the bus as well. It would be a good way to supplement the farm income.
    Love the barn – especially with the snow!

10. Beth says:

Bus driving around here is often done by those who need the extra cash and the flexibility so they can tend to things at home. I wonder if two folks drive buses at that home. I love the barn–quite lovely with the red with white trim. The snow highlights it nicely.
    You sound incredibly busy —and cold (as in temperature). We are back up in the 80s in this part of Ohio and I’ve been running the air conditioners at school and at home! I can’t even wrap my mind around snow at this point—I’m still wearing sandals!

Hi Beth,
      Many of our local bus drivers are in the same situation. In addition to the school buses there was a blue charter looking bus.

I really like the primary colors I captured in this picture. The snow on the trees kind of topped of the entire scene.

This morning we woke up to a windy 27º. J started the corn/pellet stove last night. They are talking nicer temps (50’s) by the weekend.

It’s a busy time of year. Next week will be very active with cattle work.

11. Jori says:

Beautiful barn! SO pretty with the dusting of snow and blue sky. I am going to try your recipes soon!