Autumn Colors On The Prairie

Today I’m sharing the beauty of autumn colors from the northwestern prairie of South Dakota. The first photo is from the day we preconditioned calves. The rest of the pictures were taken when Mom and Dad were visiting.

October 2

We are enjoying the change of seasons even though the colors are not as vibrant as past years. Mom read that dry years produce more richly colored foliage compared to wet years. In addition, we have a lot of rust colored leaves. We think they are due to the frost we had in mid-September. During that week we had two or three nights in a row get down to 28*.

October 2

The above picture is of a creek that runs through one of our summer pastures. It’s rare to see green grass on the western South Dakota prairie in September. Last week we had some of the warmest temperatures of the summer with highs in the low 90’s. This week it’s been rainy with highs in the low to mid 50’s. Monday and Tuesday were wet misty days with occasional showers. We ended up with .90″ of rain.

October 2

This is the tree at the end of our driveway. It’s one of my favorite trees to photograph. We think this beauty got struck by lightning during a storm that passed  through three weeks ago.

Below is a photo from one of our summer pastures.

October 2

J’s Uncle brought a bushel basket of apples with him. Farm grown, hand picked apples are one of my favorite things of autumn. These are delicious eating apples. Upon J’s request managed to bake up an apple crisp.

What are some of your fall favorites?

13 Responses to Autumn Colors On The Prairie

I love the curved road and tree photo the best. Your trees have done more turning than ours have. I am beginning to notice some fall colors in trees, but they are still predominately green. We have an old cottonwood at one of our drives that I love, too. It’s like it welcomes me home, no matter the season.

Oh now I am craving fresh crisp apples. Your photos are beautiful and being home is always special. Have a nice week and be careful. Hug B

3. Alica says:

This is beautiful! It’s such a different landscape than I am accustomed to seeing, and the vast openness is breathtaking!

4. Sandra says:

Lovely photos!
    I love the Fall season, I just hope it stays around a while!

5. Janet birky says:

I would frame them

6. Myla says:

Fall inspired goodies are the best! Apple and pumpkin rank right up there with chocolate these days. Last fall I canned homemade apple pie filling and love being able to go down to the basement and grab a quart to make something tasty! Thanks for the anniversary wishes!!!

7. Cheri says:

Love the dirt road with the tree….
    Our colors are not changing yet. A few trees are kinda golden. And there’s leaves I the yard. Maybe we will have vibrant colors this year! It’s been dry!
    I love when my purple ash start changing color. The tops of the leaves turn purple! Then it’s like someone pulls a switch and all the leaves fall off in one day.
    Cheri

8. Ginger Goddard Hanten says:

Robyn – I have been following your site ever since our trip out there. It was nice meeting you and all the other Goddards. I took pictures; but, for some reason either my computer or camera will not let me download them. Some time if you get a chance, would you post a picture of the Goddard Ranch sign? I took a picture of my sister and I by it and that is one of the many I can’t retrieve. We enjoyed our visit to your ranch. It is so neat how you preserve your heritage. I can now see why Harry went that far west and didn’t go any further. Your country side is amazing. We went to a Pork Extravaganza in R. City the next day and sat at a table with a ranch couple that knew you. The man went to school with your husband – sorry, didn’t get the name. Come see us some time! In the mean time I will keep reading your “Chronicles”.

Ginger,

Thanks for the comment. I’m glad you enjoyed your trip to the Ranch and it was nice meeting you too.
      The Pork Extravaganza, you sat with Carl and Kari. Carl called the next day to tell us. What a small world.

9. Beautiful images of the wonder that surrounds you…the winding roads, the hills, the beautiful trees. God has surrounded you with his bounty!!

10. Bonnie says:

Great photos. I miss the prairie the most in the fall. The grass is like the ocean waves to me. I am so sorry about your tree. I can’t tell for sure. Is it a cottonwood? To me cottonwoods are the most regal of trees.

11. I love the beauty of your landscape, Robyn. And that tree! I sure hope that if it was struck, it is able to heal.
    We had snow Friday. Thankfully, it didn’t stay. 🙂
    Our furnace is turned on now, and I have a toasty fire going in the living room as I type.
    Hoping for some warm days yet – I was in the middle of some projects that require moderate temps!