April Snow Showers

If April showers bring May flowers we’ll have to start looking for blooms when the snow melts. Early Sunday morning we awoke to a thunderstorm. Sunday was a cool and misty day. It always amazes me how a little moisture turns the grass a bright optimistic green. Even if we only saw it for one day.

April 29

Monday morning the ground was covered with 4-5″ of heavy wet snow. It was breezy during morning chores and the wind picked up throughout the day. I saw a high of 36* and a lot of snow melted. Last night J and I brought the cows in and J checked them several times during the night. This morning the ground is white again. I’m glad we are on the downhill swing of calving.

I am starting to think that spring is one step forward and two steps back. When winter starts the first weekend in October and is still lingering the end of April it makes one wonder.

April 29

J and his Dad spent several days cleaning cattle lots before the rain. It’s nice to get the build up of winter muck cleaned out. This is an annual job we do before branding calves.

In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt. ~Margaret Atwood

April 29

Between the weather and Rosie I am in no hurry to plant my container garden. I have thought about a garden, but there has been no action to prepare my tractor rims. When Rosie gets bored she digs holes. Not little “lets scratch the surface holes,” she digs holes hoping to reach China. During chores I take Rosie along for a run and J takes her along when he is out and about. Sometimes, I think J takes a 4-wheeler ride down the driveway just so Rosie can run off a little more energy. I wish she would share some of her energy with me.

April 29

The naked earth is warm with Spring,
And with green grass and bursting trees
Leans to the sun’s kiss glorying,
And quivers in the sunny breeze.
~Julian Grenfell

Is it spring at your house?

11 Responses to April Snow Showers

1. emily says:

It is snowing here as we speak. It has been cold, and dreary since Saturday, with no end in sight. I am hopeful though, that the sun will shine on Saturday for a special little birthday party!

2. Loretta Beavis says:

I had snow showers for about twenty minutes–that is a lot for the Mojave desert! In winter/spring the rain comes in “pulses” about 5 weeks apart, twenty minutes maybe. It is just enough for the wildflowers to reproduce.

I love the cows and Rosie. I had a border collie who dug trenches, Rosie must have a plan….

3. Jen says:

I’m speechless, I can’t believe you got more snow…But your photos are wonderful, love them as always!

4. Myla says:

You got more snow?!?! Good gracious, I will stop whining about rain and wind this minute! We use the four-wheeler trick with Bella. It works great! She also is really worn out when she comes home from being at the farm all day, which to her means swimming in the ponds all. day. long!

5. Linda R says:

So sorry to hear you got more snow.. That is crazy. We are here in Colorado and late yesterday afternoon we had some snow flurries but if you blinked you missed it. Now we just have a lot of wind. Love the photos of you cows my friend.

Hugs~

6. buttons says:

What more snow that is not anything I want to see. It is a crazy year indeed. I would love to have another Rosie dog here love the energy of Border Collies .take care hug B

7. Sharon says:

More snow?!!! Your Rosie looks happy, sun, rain, or snow. She is such a beauty. I hope you have warmer weather, soon!

8. We’ve had more white covering than green.. Easter Sunday was glorious.. it’s been downhill from there. Hoping we turn around & start heading the other way mighty quickly!
    I love that first photo, Robyn. And oh, Rosie.. digging to China.. Some dogs were born to dig! 🙂 I’d like to share some of her energy, too. Our McGee injured a front leg late in February & hasn’t been bouncing back very well. He’s still happy as can be, but isn’t the bounding leaping ball of energy he once was.

9. Oh, man! I can’t believe it snowed in your area this week. Ugh. Spring is TRYING to hit here. It still looks like late October out the window plus daffodils. No leaves. Harvested corn stubble still up. Gray skies most of the week. I took a picture of my daffodils which are the only thing that remind me of spring. I was going to write a post about it but never got around to it. Maybe I still will! Oh Rosie, what a silly girl 🙂

10. Linda W says:

Wow, this has really been the endless winter for you folks in S. Dakota. Hope things warm up and stay that way.

11. Roan says:

It is spring, although the high today will only be low 50s. It’s a chilly morning. Every time I see your pup, I have to smile.